• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZadrraS

New to programming, can't find any tuts to start my own game.

This topic is 5339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, im quite new to programming, i have enough knowladge on borland C++ to make a text based HumanVSHuman Tick-Tack-Toe or a very simple text RPG. I Would like to learn more, but i can''t find any tutorials or anything. Most of them are for more experienced programmers. The first normal game i would like to make would be tetris (or anything VERY simple(2D)) and im ready to learn ANYTHING i need to make it. Could you people give me some links to tutorials, any help would be great. I know that with the knowladge i have i can''t just read a little and make a game. Like ive said im ready to learn anything i need before making a game. Just that i can''t find any tutorials on how to do 2D, or something that i need before i can even start thinking about making 2D games/stuff. Theres just no things like "Everything you need to make a 2D game for complete beginners". Thanks.

Advertisement
Learn an API like SDL or Allegro which will provide you will all the tools you need to do 2D graphics, I''m not sure if these provide Borland libs but I''m sure there''s a program floating around on the net to convert MSVC++ .libs to Borland, can''t remember the name or link though

Read the sticky thread in the Beginners forum: " Tetris clone in an hour with C++". That one might get you started...

- Gom Jabbar

Yeah, sorry. Ive posted and only then started looking around. Ive red some of the tetris clone tut (still reading/writting) but theres stuff i don''t understand. Ok, i understand (for example):
"const int TILERED=3;" or

"void GameDone(); " or

" struct Piece {
int size[4][4];
int x;
int y;};"

But some stuff just get me confused a lot.. like:
"hbmOldBitMap=(HBITMAP)SelectObject(hdcMemory,hbmNewBitMap);"

I mean, I would like to not only know what this line does but what every piece of text mean. I want to know what im writting so i could use it when making something diffrent, not just memorize the line.. Any tutorials to help me understand all the harder parts?

Go through it visiting MSDN and look up all the functions you don''t. This is a great resource to have, and also goes over some Microsoft libraries, as well as DirectX and OpenGL. If you have Visual Studio and have installed MSDN, simply highlight the code, and in the dynamic help bar, the MSDN entry will come up.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

quote:
Original post by ZadrraS
Yeah, sorry. Ive posted and only then started looking around. Ive red some of the tetris clone tut (still reading/writting) but theres stuff i don''t understand. Ok, i understand (for example):

"void GameDone(); " or

" struct Piece {
int size[4][4];
int x;
int y;};"

You have to learn C++ before trying to make a bigger game, like a 2d pong/tetris clone

quote:
Original post by Hedos
quote:
Original post by ZadrraS

"void GameDone(); " or

" struct Piece {
int size[4][4];
int x;
int y;};"

You have to learn C++ before trying to make a bigger game, like a 2d pong/tetris clone

Thats exactly what i want, to learn C++ so i can acomplish my goal (make a 2D game). But like ive said, theres no tutorials on "what you need to know to be able to make a game". Anyway, isn''t Visual C++ similar to Visual Basic or C++ Builder? I use Borland C++, but if Visual C++ is better then i will get it.

It''s quite similar - shouldnt give you any problems to switch between the two.

Try www.gametutorials.com - they have some very good c / c++ tutorials too.

The Monkey is back !

Get a few books! I found The C++ Language, Special Edition online as an e-book. If you search hard enough, you can find any book you need. However, I reccomend Bruce Eckel''s Thinking in C++ books, which can be found here. Or, get a book in print. I used C++ from the Ground Up, 2nd Edition, but 3rd edition is out. Just find a tutorial or book, and read through the first few pages. This will let you see if you like the writer''s style and let you see if you are at an appropriate level for the book. If C++ seems too confusing, choose an easier language like Visual BASIC and find a tutorial.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

Hmmm, just installed Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 (it has Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0). The Letters are really small, its impossible to tell a diffrence between a ")" and a "}". It doesn''t understand "cinn" or ">>"... I think ill have to get used to it. And i can''t buy any books, i live in Lithuania and theres only few C++ books, i can''t order online couse rarely they ship to Lithuania and i don''t have a credit card..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!