New to programming, can't find any tuts to start my own game.

Started by
14 comments, last by ZadrraS 20 years, 1 month ago
So, which is better, Visual C++ or Borland C++ and why? Which are the people on this site using? I liked Borland C++ more, its so much nicer...
Advertisement
dude, if you want to start out with something simple, then i would strongly reccommend SDL. SDL is so simple, you dont have to bother with the complications of the win32 hassle of setting up windows and taking input and stuff. in SDL, taking input and setting up a window is only a few lines of code. i bet if you have even a decent knowledge of c++, you could make your own pong clone. you just have to understand this:

an API is just a set of functions you can use to draw images to the screen (someone correct me if im wrong). once you have the API installed on your comp, you just need to know the functions to draw to the screen. in SDL this is just a single line of code called SDL_BlitSurface, its great. just go to cone3d.gamedev.net and check out the SDL tutorials. after you finish the second tutorial you should be able to make a pong clone pretty easily. just use some logic - put 2 paddles on the screen, then put a ball on the screen, then get the ball bouncing off the paddles/wall. its not hard at all, really, and you dont need any tutorials except the basic one to teach you how to draw to the screen.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
quote:Original post by ZadrraS
So, which is better, Visual C++ or Borland C++ and why? Which are the people on this site using? I liked Borland C++ more, its so much nicer...

It is all opinion. Some people are anti-Microsoft fanatics and will not use Visual C++ just because it has Microsoft in the name, even though it is a great compiler. I would say get a trial of both of them, and see which one you like more. Also, the one that will be easiest for you to get support for will probably be the best choice. About your Visual C++ 6.0 question above, you can change the text size in the options, or you can increase your monitor DPI like this.
1. Go to your desktop and right-click anywhere there is not an icon. Select properties.
OR:
Go to Start->Control Panel->Display.
2. Go to the Appearance tab. Here you can modify font size.
3. Go to the Settings Tab, and click on the Advanced button. This screen will depend on your video card, but under the general tab, it should say DPI Setting. Put it to 120 DPI or the highest you can go.
And as for me, I use Microsoft Visual C++ .NET, Dev-C++, and g++, depending on which computer I am using in my house.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Its usually a good idea to use two (or possibly more) different compilers like VC++ and Dev-C++ for example as this will stop your code from becomimng dependant on one particular compiler''s interpretation of the C++ standard. This will become more important if you plan to port your games/app to different platforns.
I have full versions of both of them (Visual C++ v6.0 and Borland C++ v5.02) So i can use any one i like more, will, BC++ compile a tetris written in VC++ (the one in this forum) without errors? I want to use the one that everyone use, so i could follow any C++ tutorial not just "VC++ tutorial" or "BC++ tutorial"
quote:Original post by ZadrraS
So i can use any one i like more, will, BC++ compile a tetris written in VC++ (the one in this forum) without errors?

Assuming you didn''t use anything weird or unsupported by either compiler (read the docs! read the docs! read the docs!) - you ought to be able to, yes. That''s the whole point of using standardized high level languages.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement