• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

using vertexshaders to update texture coords

This topic is 5099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m so very totally new to vertex shader programming and i thought i''d learn it. however, i don''t know of any good vertex shader tutorials. the current state of my project is that i want to update some texture coords withouth locking the vertex buffer and i thought the use of vertex shaders would pass this state

Advertisement
For a good introduction to shaders via DX9''s HLSL, you can see the first chapter of the book ShaderX2: Introductions & Tutorials with DirectX 9. The first chapter is available online for free from ATI''s developer web page. The direct link is www.ati.com/developer/ShaderX2_IntroductionToHLSL.pdf

You cannot use them to actually change the contents of your vertex buffers. Vertex shaders are made to take the data stored in vertex buffers as input, perform some kind of operation on them, and output them the the next stage in the graphics pipeline. You can perform some kind of transformation on the texture coordinates of your geometry, but the result of these computations will only be passed on to the next stage in the pipeline, not written back to your vertex buffer.

Hope this helps,
neneboricua

• Advertisement