• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Linux IMG Problem(Renamed)

This topic is 5099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am attempting to instal a minimalist flavor of Linux on my laptop, and cannot get files to work. I am currently deciding between BLAG and Topologilinux. I have only tried booting with Topologilinux, however. My problem is that I cannot access the ISO files to install the OS. It doesn't recognize it when the computer starts, and when I attempt to access the file from the root account of my laptop's Mandrake Linux 6.1, I get the error "/mnt/cdrom/Topologilinux-4.0.0-cd1.iso: canot execute binary file" without the quotes. Is there a workaround to this? EDIT: Renamed post. Scott Simontis e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net AIM:ssimontis [edited by - ssimontis on March 7, 2004 7:13:48 PM]

Advertisement
iso files are not executable. iso files are normally CD image files. You need to use a burning program like nero to burn them to a CD (don''t burn the iso file as a file onto the CD, tell nero to use the iso file as a CD image, which will burn the contents of the iso file). You could also use a program like ISOBuster to extract the files from the iso manually.

How does ISOBuster woprk? I opened the file, but now what? THe documentation didn''t seem to help me much.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

Thnks for all the help, I well get Nero and burn the file.

Scott Simontis

most cd burnign software has image burning ability.

at least, I ahve yet to find one without.

I had ISOBuster, and honestly it just didn''t work well for me. Finally, I used Nero 6 Ultra to burn my ISO file... unfortunately, it''s not included in the demo. I have a friend who bought Nero, though, and he ... er, sort of loaned me his serial number... *angelic smile*

Yeah, I just (what, 15 minutes ago?) burned DamnSmall to disk and played around with it... it''s wonderful. Now I''m looking into NetBSD... lol

- CD

Brought to you by Code_Dark

What the ...?
What''s all this windows advice doing in here?!

''mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/isofile.iso /mnt/iso'' will mount the cdimage as if it''s any other drive on your system.

cdrecord will burn the iso to cd before any gui program has even had a chance to get started

Thank you everyone, I am using ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD.

Scott Simontis

My problems don''t seem to be over yet. When I insert the disk, it does not boot from it. Because of this, I tried a floppy disk. However, RARWRITE isn''t letting me write to the disk, as it never actually copies the file, and it claims the file is too large to move if I try to do it manually.

Scott Simontis

Did you tell your BIOS to try to boot from CD before Floppy/HD? If so, do you get some kind of error message when it tries?

You can use the command line tool "cdrecord" to burn an iso. It comes with most linux distros.

I have set the boot preferences, yet nothing is happening, it bypasses the CD and goes straight to the evrsion of Linux installed. Can I run everything from inside my Linux distro>

Scott Simontis

By boot preferences do you mean BIOS boot sequence or LILO/Grub options?

quote:
Original post by Doc
By boot preferences do you mean BIOS boot sequence or LILO/Grub options?

BIOS options are set, I am not sure how to change the LILO/RUB settings for this.

Scott Simontis

So is there any indication that the BIOS tried to boot off the CD? If it is trying - beats me. Might just be a bad burn or something. If it's not trying then it might be a problem with your BIOS. Can it boot off other CDs (like win install CD for example)?

EDIT: In theory booting off the CD ought to completely bypass Lilo or Grub, so they shouldn't be an issue.

[edited by - Doc on March 8, 2004 12:26:50 AM]

I think this might be a problem. When I put in a floppy containing the bootdisk image, I get the "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart" blurb. Would it be better to just kill the hard drive and then reinstall?

Scott Simontis

Guest Anonymous Poster
Did you really use rawrite to create your bootdisk?

• Advertisement