• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ataru

Interpolation for raytracer

This topic is 5214 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a good interpolation function to interpolate between two control points for my movie making raytracer. I was using Catmullrom from the DX libraries, but if control points are too far apart the curveature goes a little wonky. Anyone know what things like Bryce or 3DS Max use? Thanks

Advertisement
Fast and easy is 3- or 4-vertex bezier curves. Implementable in any # of dimensions or values... and somewhat fun to learn.

Let A, B, C, D be four values you want to interpolate between, and let u be a value from 0 to 1 inclusive, such that the function below produces the point A when u = 0, and D when u = 1. Let V = (1 - u).

f(u,A,B,C,D) = Au3 + 3Bu2v + 3Duv2 + Cv3

That function is derived by expanding (u+v)3. The "3" is the number of vertices minus one. For just 3 values...

f(u,A,B,C) = Au2 + 2Buv + Av2

... which is given by (u+v)2.

As you may guess, (u+v)1 gives Au + Bv, which is a straight line, and (u+v)1 gives A(1), which is a point. Higher numbers give more "control points", as those values are called.

[edited by - Wyrframe on March 7, 2004 11:16:05 PM]

The problem with bezier curves are they won't pass through the control points in between.

It may be a bug, but if I move in a straight line using catmullrom, it will bob, something like

-----x-->
<------
-----------x---->

that's horrible ascii art (both x's are off a straing line, it's hard to draw with ascii. I am using the DX catmullrom, there might be a bug in my system. I assume that if you travel down a straight line, it would not bob up and down.

Do all modelers use Bezier curves, never passing through all control points?

[edited by - ataru on March 8, 2004 11:56:12 AM]

[edited by - ataru on March 8, 2004 11:58:12 AM]

[edited by - ataru on March 8, 2004 11:58:39 AM]

if 100% straight, it shouldn''t. but catmul has a tendency to bump here and there, when it''s almost straight, but not quite. Also, it''s no C2 continuous (There aer breaks in the second derivative), which is probably why.

And breaks in second derivative( acceleration ) are visible to naked eye, as well as in first derivative(speed).With one difference,it''s bit harder to explain what''s wrong with movement,even to yourself.

[Edited by - Dmytry on March 27, 2005 1:24:20 PM]

I will most likley use a bezier curve. It''s for a hack add on job to a system at work, and I''d rather produce better results.

I guess I''m just dissapointed in catmullrom. The reason I stayed away from bezier curves was the fact that it does not pass through control points, but really it''s not a necessity for me.

Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!