• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can C++ do that VB can't, and what can VB do C++ can't?

This topic is 5097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think the title explains most ^_^ But could someone tell me, what can C++ do that VB can''t, and what can VB do C++ can''t?

Advertisement
well, VB is faster for building aplications. it''s whole goal is RAD.

assuming you can get libaries for everything that C++ does, C++ is alot faster.

Nothing. You could write a VB compiler in C++, and a C++ compiler in VB. QED.

Both languages are considered Turing-equivalent.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

Drat, I was gonna say that.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

C++ integers are larger then VB integers Not to mention lots of the stuff in VB can be done just as it can in C++ however.. Ive heard that its supposibly hard to code some aspects of a 3d game in vb? Im not too sure about the specifics though if anyone else knows? Also I don't think VB has the ablity to use inline assembly but im not 100% sure on that because I haven't used VB enough to know >.<

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on March 7, 2004 4:00:26 PM]

VB is targeted towards rapid development and deployment of conventional windows GUI applications. Making a calculator is a snap. Making a text editor is a snap. Making the next Quake is somewhat trickier, but doable.

C++ code tends to execute faster than VB code. The gap has closed somewhat in recent years, but C++ still has a decided advantage. If you decide to program a production-quality game in VB, the chances are good you''ll end up having to code certain time-critical functions in C++ to improve speed of execution.

A lot of people use VB for development tools such as level editors. This is a good way to leverage VB''s strengths.

A lot of people shy away from VB and say that it''s a language for newbies and that "you can''t make any real programs with it", personally I have no VB experience. Is this just ignorance on their part?

--------------------
Though this program be madness, yet there is a method in''t

Writing an operating system in VB would be fun haha =p

Problem with writing an OS in VB, its compltely dependant ON an os (windows) if im not mistaken...
-Dan

VB can be used to develop programs very quickly. If your just doing programming at home for fun, then I recommend VB because you can program a game or app 5x faster with it.

However, C++ programs will have about a 5% faster framerate. So if you need that 5% extra framerate, then use C++.

Possibility

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Drat, I was gonna say that.

Why? Because he''d know exactly what Turing-equivalent would mean...

quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
vb code is way uglier than c++

Is that a fact, or is it a statement indicative of your limited experience? I think that C++ is ugly.

What about Writing Device Drivers, Calling Interrupts?
Can you do it in vb??

I use VB as my development tool in my work. It''s an easy program to learn.

At the office, we''re currently developing a banking software, and VB is doing it very well.

I use C++ when I have to create a dll for an specific task. But basically, VB is a good tool to create Windows application.

I think it''s a matter of taste, choosing the language you feel more comfortable..

And always use the right tool for the right job.

quote:

I Agree with you, especially when you notice case-insensitivity, and the control structures, and the lack of indentation!
I can''t read code without indentation.
I''d rather Write asm, it''s more beautiful.

quote:
Original post by Woodsman
quote:

Is that a fact, or is it a statement indicative of your limited experience? I think that C++ is ugly.

I think they''re both ugly, and I am right.

VB is really nice when you have to do an "inside the box" program. It has more of the important functionality build in already. Of course the price of that ease-of-use is power to do whatever you want. If you want to make an game, VB is probably not a good choice. Tools for games - exelent choice. UnrealED was made completely in basic, so VB can certainly hold its own in some areas. In the end, programming is programming, so use whichever language you like best.

VB is obselete with .NET around.

This begs the question: when will VB.NET die?

VB is always good for the poser-alpha-programmer's inevitable public chest-thumping; or rather, to look cool by slighting it at every turn.

[edited by - antareus on March 7, 2004 8:50:58 PM]

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
I think they''re both ugly, and I am right.

I don''t know about the latter but I wholeheartedly agree with the former.

If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.

(princ(substitute #\Space #\0(format()"~36R"5688852237040631986030796883)))

The problems are surmountable, but it''s a tremendous pita.

VB 6 and prior
VB has no unsigned integral types.
VB has no pointers (You can fake it with a long, or an Object reference)
VB has no bit operators.
VB has limited support for inheritance (only for some COM interfaces)
VB has no support for multi-threading
VB has no support for advanced IO
The VB GUI generates UI events when you modify widget with code. This makes it troublesome to write a program as simple as calc, and theoretically untenable (O(n!)) for UIs with many mutaually dependant fields.
VB can use (many) COM objects easier than C++ (remember, no unsigned types)
VB is a simple language
VB has limited support for exceptions (on error goto)

As to what VB can do that "C++" can''t depends on your C++ tools. Borland''s C++ Builder IDE''s RAD UI works the same way as Delphi and is similar VB. With MFC you need to write code for things such as tab-controls (or donwload an example off the web anyway). (Buttons are still easy.)

With the latest MSVC C++.Net, it uses the same WinForms that VB.Net does (and is also very similar to Delphi).

For "real" C++, you can use a widget kit such as wxWindows (or gtk, or Qt) which each have thier own RAD tools.

VB is an integrated package, C++ is a la carte.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
VB 6 and prior
VB has no unsigned integral types.
VB has no pointers (You can fake it with a long, or an Object reference)
VB has no bit operators.
VB has limited support for inheritance (only for some COM interfaces)
VB has no support for multi-threading
VB has no support for advanced IO
The VB GUI generates UI events when you modify widget with code. This makes it troublesome to write a program as simple as calc, and theoretically untenable (O(n!)) for UIs with many mutaually dependant fields.
VB can use (many) COM objects easier than C++ (remember, no unsigned types)
VB is a simple language
VB has limited support for exceptions (on error goto)

These have all been fixed in VB.net. VB.Net is actually a very good language now and can do just about everything C++ can. Plus Managed DirectX is very nice now for game developement.

Possibility

quote:
Original post by Onemind
[...]UnrealED was made completely in basic, so VB can certainly hold its own in some areas.[...]
While I agree VB can hold its own, I wouldn''t advertise the fact that unrealed was made in it, because unrealed is the most convulted editor for any game I''ve ever seen. The idea of using CSG for levels instead of only additive blocks like quake-based games is neat, but the implementation in unrealed is the worst possible. It is the only windows program I know of where control-s does something and that something is not save. It is also the only windows program that I know of that requires a tutorial of some kind to use. Who would know control-left drag is move object, or shift-middle drag is ''measure distance'', or that left+right drag in the 3d view is move camera up/down, etc. Not only that, but it doesn''t include any real help.

Sorry, but as you can probably tell I''ve been losing a fight with unrealed recently.

quote:
Original post by Woodsman
quote:

a fact

• Advertisement