• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SavX

What can C++ do that VB can't, and what can VB do C++ can't?

This topic is 5271 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think the title explains most ^_^ But could someone tell me, what can C++ do that VB can''t, and what can VB do C++ can''t?

Advertisement
well, VB is faster for building aplications. it''s whole goal is RAD.

assuming you can get libaries for everything that C++ does, C++ is alot faster.

Nothing. You could write a VB compiler in C++, and a C++ compiler in VB. QED.

Both languages are considered Turing-equivalent.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

C++ integers are larger then VB integers Not to mention lots of the stuff in VB can be done just as it can in C++ however.. Ive heard that its supposibly hard to code some aspects of a 3d game in vb? Im not too sure about the specifics though if anyone else knows? Also I don't think VB has the ablity to use inline assembly but im not 100% sure on that because I haven't used VB enough to know >.<

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on March 7, 2004 4:00:26 PM]

VB is targeted towards rapid development and deployment of conventional windows GUI applications. Making a calculator is a snap. Making a text editor is a snap. Making the next Quake is somewhat trickier, but doable.

C++ code tends to execute faster than VB code. The gap has closed somewhat in recent years, but C++ still has a decided advantage. If you decide to program a production-quality game in VB, the chances are good you''ll end up having to code certain time-critical functions in C++ to improve speed of execution.

A lot of people use VB for development tools such as level editors. This is a good way to leverage VB''s strengths.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

A lot of people shy away from VB and say that it''s a language for newbies and that "you can''t make any real programs with it", personally I have no VB experience. Is this just ignorance on their part?

--------------------
Though this program be madness, yet there is a method in''t

VB can be used to develop programs very quickly. If your just doing programming at home for fun, then I recommend VB because you can program a game or app 5x faster with it.

However, C++ programs will have about a 5% faster framerate. So if you need that 5% extra framerate, then use C++.

Possibility

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!