What can C++ do that VB can't, and what can VB do C++ can't?

Started by
55 comments, last by SavX 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by tok_junior
I''d like to hear how you got that to be an "attack on his skill level". Being new was the only feasible explanation i could find to him not liking them, and "trying to make them work".

He might just as easily know more than you, and thus know about potential problems that can be a real pain in the butt, that you have not encountered yet, know about other languages that are better and make C++ templates feel quite painfully annoying and difficult compared to other stuff, etc. Not that this is necessarily the case, but it is a possibility.

int main() { return *((int*)0); }
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Possibility
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
<snip>

These have all been fixed in VB.net. VB.Net is actually a very good language now and can do just about everything C++ can. Plus Managed DirectX is very nice now for game developement.

Possibility

Yes, and C++ with Managed Extentions (C++.Net) has at least as much capability as VB.Net. (And C# would be the language of choice in this environment.)

quote:Manip

quote:
VB has limited support for inheritance (only for some COM interfaces)

uhh, VB is a completely OOP, so it has as much support as C++. You need to learn more VB.

I specifically stated I was talking about VB6 (it''s not worth discussing .Net since it''s all the same). Please enlight me how to define an interface and implement multiple concrete classes with VB6. I''d love to be able to do that in my VBA code.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Who uses VB6 anymore? VB.Net has been out for a few years now.
This thread seems to have turned into another "my language is better than yours thread". Every language has pros and cons, use the one that works for you and what your tring to do. Leave everyone else alone.
quote:
I specifically stated I was talking about VB6 (it''s not worth discussing .Net since it''s all the same). Please enlight me how to define an interface and implement multiple concrete classes with VB6. I''d love to be able to do that in my VBA code.

You want me to teach you how to use classes in VB6? Go google for a tutorial... it is easy enough.
I''ve never figured out why people continue to post to threads when they add nothing except speculation or ignorance. Considering all the contradictions (and blatantly wrong posts), threads like these would make logical candidates for being turned in FAQs and subsequently deleted on sight...
quote:Original post by Manip
quote:

You want me to teach you how to use classes in VB6? Go google for a tutorial... it is easy enough.

Actually, I would like to know this too. I haven''t used VB6 for quite some years but I was pretty sure that it only supported interface inheritance and not implementation inheritance. Unless has been added to the language since?

- Kaijin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement