• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torque Game Engine

This topic is 5099 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

From what I have read, Torque supports both OpenGL and DirectX. Right? Does it use DirectX 9.0 or 8.1 ? Anybody that has used it, did you like it?

Advertisement
Well this post may be a bit off topic... I haven''t used the torque engine but..... I know another engine that is quite good that is free called Irrlicht irrlicht.sourceforge.net It supports dx 8.1, dx 9.0, opengl, and software rendering its pretty good, if your looking for an engine to use.

Can you use it for commerical projects? I want an engine that is under $200 or cheaper. Something that has good graphics.

According to their System Requirements page, DirectX version 8.0 or later is required to use Torque on Windows machines.

I''ve only run the demo version so far, but it looks reasonably impressive and complete (it includes more tools than most game engines).

Actually, DX support in torque is kinda funny, at least at the moment.

Even so, I''d highly recommend it. It is by far the best engine package I''ve seen; just pick your build tool of choice (makefiles are provided, as well as vc6 and vc7 projects), and start coding your game.

And I highly recommend checking out the latest screenshot on garagegames:
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=741
for a peek of what''s to come.

To be honest, I really liked torque at first, except for it''s renderer... and now it looks like that''s what they''ve been working on

Despite the fact that some moron says it "sucks crap through straws" (http://www.cipherengine.com/discuss/viewthread.php?t=1112), Torque is a bargain at $100. The DirectX support is pretty poor, as I believe it''s only a wrapper for OpenGL. Torque is cross platform, so OpenGL is the priority. It does include some excellent tools, and you should be able to create excellent single player or multi-player games with it.

Yes the current version of Torque supports D3D via an OpenGL-like API called DX2GL, but most Torque apps default to OGL. The requirement for DX comes from the use of DInput. I haven''t looked much at the input code, but I don''t believe they fall back to standard Windows message handling for input if DI is not present/fails, but I could be wrong.

One of the interns working at GG has completely revamped the renderer, so now there is an independent D3D renderer. The screenshot a couple of posts above was taken from that (though GG would neither confirm or deny ). One thing I didn''t like about the current Torque release is how the subsystems are hopelessly intertwined. This is a result of time constraints during the original development of Tribes and Tribes2 no doubt. Torque 2.0 will supposedly sort all of that. And I recall also that the net code will be separated out into a different package for 2.0.

Overall though it''s a solid engine for the price, but a bit bulky for simple games.

Since we''re discussing Torque: does anyone know if the APIs in the Torque SDK are C++ or C based ?

Torque is C++.

The irrlicht engine has a promsing future, but it''s visual quality and rendering speed are VERY suspect.

Destiny3D, the engine which promise much and delivered nothing?

Destiny3D doesn't look like the kind of engine I need. My game is mainly indoors with some outside scenes as well. I'm downloading the irrlicht engine SDK and see what it has to offer.

[edited by - SilverScreen on March 8, 2004 10:44:38 PM]

I have been using TGE (Torque Game Engine) for about 2 years now as well as involved in the GG (GarageGames) community. The engine is OGL based with a DX wrapper (as mentioned in a previous post).

quote:

The Torque Game Engine started life as the technology behind Dynamix/Sierra/Vivendi´s products Tribes, Starsiege, and Tribes 2, and is an industry proven engine. It is currently being used by thousands of developers around the world with shipping titles such as Marble Blast, Orbz, Think Tanks, Tennis Critters, and the upcoming mecha game, Lore

Why Buy The Torque??

Here are just a few reasons...

Educational: One of the best ways to learn programming is to read code written by other developers. And if you are going to read code you might was well have fun and read game code and learn a few tricks in the process.

Resume Building: MOD and/or modify the engine to show off your skills to future employers.

MOD Makers: How many times have you got stuck trying to MOD other engines because it did not support feature X? Now you have the source and can easily add that feature yourself and truly differentiate your MOD from the rest.

To Make Great Games! That´s what we all live for, so do it. This is an unprecedented opportunity to build your game using an industry proven game engine that rocks! Check out how others using the Torque Game Engine feel about its quality in our Testimonials section.

Testimonials

Mike Nelson, 21-6 Productions "The engine itself is a marvel of achievement and power (especially the net-code -- very impressive.) With the support of GarageGames via the ever growing documentation and forums it´s more than possible to take control of the engine itself to make it do what you need."

Phil Carlisle, Sr. Programmer, TEAM17 "One of the prime questions you should ask yourself when considering an engine for your project is "Has this ever actually been used to make a game?". Torque has and in doing so it has proven itself as one of the most flexible engines ever created."

• Advertisement