Torque Game Engine

Started by
15 comments, last by SilverScreen 20 years, 1 month ago
From what I have read, Torque supports both OpenGL and DirectX. Right? Does it use DirectX 9.0 or 8.1 ? Anybody that has used it, did you like it?
Advertisement
Well this post may be a bit off topic... I haven''t used the torque engine but..... I know another engine that is quite good that is free called Irrlicht irrlicht.sourceforge.net It supports dx 8.1, dx 9.0, opengl, and software rendering its pretty good, if your looking for an engine to use.
Can you use it for commerical projects? I want an engine that is under $200 or cheaper. Something that has good graphics.
How about Crystal Space? I played with it and it''s pretty cool!
According to their System Requirements page, DirectX version 8.0 or later is required to use Torque on Windows machines.

I''ve only run the demo version so far, but it looks reasonably impressive and complete (it includes more tools than most game engines).
Actually, DX support in torque is kinda funny, at least at the moment.

Even so, I''d highly recommend it. It is by far the best engine package I''ve seen; just pick your build tool of choice (makefiles are provided, as well as vc6 and vc7 projects), and start coding your game.

And I highly recommend checking out the latest screenshot on garagegames:
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=741
for a peek of what''s to come.

To be honest, I really liked torque at first, except for it''s renderer... and now it looks like that''s what they''ve been working on
Despite the fact that some moron says it "sucks crap through straws" (http://www.cipherengine.com/discuss/viewthread.php?t=1112), Torque is a bargain at $100. The DirectX support is pretty poor, as I believe it''s only a wrapper for OpenGL. Torque is cross platform, so OpenGL is the priority. It does include some excellent tools, and you should be able to create excellent single player or multi-player games with it.
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Yes the current version of Torque supports D3D via an OpenGL-like API called DX2GL, but most Torque apps default to OGL. The requirement for DX comes from the use of DInput. I haven''t looked much at the input code, but I don''t believe they fall back to standard Windows message handling for input if DI is not present/fails, but I could be wrong.

One of the interns working at GG has completely revamped the renderer, so now there is an independent D3D renderer. The screenshot a couple of posts above was taken from that (though GG would neither confirm or deny ). One thing I didn''t like about the current Torque release is how the subsystems are hopelessly intertwined. This is a result of time constraints during the original development of Tribes and Tribes2 no doubt. Torque 2.0 will supposedly sort all of that. And I recall also that the net code will be separated out into a different package for 2.0.

Overall though it''s a solid engine for the price, but a bit bulky for simple games.
If you read the site you''ll find that irrlicht is 100% free to make commerical projects
Since we''re discussing Torque: does anyone know if the APIs in the Torque SDK are C++ or C based ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement