Max Experience Points Determained How?

Started by
6 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 20 years, 1 month ago
I''ve seen quite alot of rpg games where there is experience points and when you get a level up they reset to 0 and you have to continue to fight to get next level up by reaching the new max experience points. I was wondering how do most games come up with how much experience points is required for each level, im assumming they use some sort of algorithm or equation but im not sure if that is true or not does anyone know?
Advertisement
I think its usually something like double each time.
For example the first level you need 100, second, 200, then 400, 800.. and so on.

I guess it really depends on how much experience you get from killing bad guys. I personally think it would be easiest to set the experience needed per level up in stone, like above, and then just tweak how much you get from killing monsters when balencing the game.

It also might depend on how much more powerful your character will get when they get a level up. If your going to give them more hit points, more magic, more spells, tons more everything, then maybe you want to more than double the experience required at each level.

Depends on the game too. I remember playing games like dragon warrior or final fantasy for nintendo, and its not uncommon to be in level 99 or some high number like that. You get a level up every hour or less of game play.

But then think about Baldurs Gate, which uses AD&D rules. In that game, if youre in level 8 you are a god. level 8 is huge. Not only that, but someone in level 8 is waaay more powerful than someone in level 7. Contrast that to Final fantasy, where someone in level 8 is almost exactly as powerful as someone in level 7.

If your making a role playing game or something like that, it seems to me that determining the experience per level would be one of the easiest things you have to worry about.
The formula D&D uses (which is the most common cRPG base for some unknown reason) is 500*(x2-x) iirc, but you don''t reset experience each level. If you want to know how much more experience you need, you''d just subtract next level from the current one.

Whatever formula you decide upon, I urge you to choose ONLY ONE of the following:
1) Each level requires progressively more experience to attain
2) Weaker monsters give you less experience as you get higher level

If you''re doing #1, weak monsters already give you a smaller percentage of the experience required to get to the next level, so you don''t need to further penalize the player by implmeneting #2 as well. I really don''t like it when games do both =-/
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Many use a variation of:-
experience_needed_for next_level = current_level * 1000

This gives you the following level requirements:-

1) 0
2) 1,000
3) 3,000
4) 6,000
5) 10,000
6) 15,000
7) 21,000
8) 28,000
9) 36,000
10) 45,000
20) 190,000
30) 435,000

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can work out what level a player should be on from his/her total experients points by using something like this:-

current_level = floor(sqrt(0.25 + current_experience*0.002) + 0.5)

[edited by - Wysardry on March 7, 2004 5:15:24 PM]
Wysardry: Actually, the formula for that progression is the one D&D(3.0 and 3.5) uses which I listed in my previous post: 500*(x2-x)

Where x = current level

[edited by - Extrarius on March 7, 2004 5:29:38 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
This all depends on several factors.
1. Scale? How much more powerful per level are you? How many levels should you need to be twice as powerful?
2. Effort? How much work should the player have to perform to gain a level? 10 enemies of similiar level? 100?
3. Range? Will you finish the game at level 9, level 20, level 99, level 255?
4. Curvature? At which level should the difficulty blow through the roof?
5. Visual Preference? When the player finishes at the supposed max level, what would EXP look like? 65535? 1000000? 16777215?

Take these factors into a forumla. Lets say we have 99 levels, with 65535 as max experience.

exp(x) = round(65535 * ((x*x)/(99*99)))

Thats with a squared level system, kind of like 100,200,400..., except its 6, 27, 60... A different ramp.

As for balancing all of this, in the area where the player needs to achieve level 27 before leaving, find the distance between the level he should have entered at (assume 26), get the amount of EXP between those two and divide by how many enemies he needs to kill, and thats how much EXP you should award.

The only problem with this method is some people hate enemies at the start of the game awarding 1 exp and enemies at the end awarding 2000 exp.
william bubel
I'm busy writing an RPG and I'm also going to have levels of experience but I'm not going to go according to any standards.

I'm going to do it as follows:

I will give each enemy a ELGP ( experience level gain point ).
So say enemy1 has an ELGP of 34, then when you kill him you will get 34 points onto your experience.
Each enemy will also have a hit point, so you won't be able to kill an enemy with an ELGP of 2000 early in the game because he will kill you.

I will also have a max experience level and just divide that up. So you say you get 1000 experience points, you will be able to handle bigger weapons.

Items will then have an ERP (experience requirement point). You will only be allowed to use that item if your experience exceeds or is equal to that item's ERP.

[edited by - Mr_Ridd on March 8, 2004 5:33:22 AM]
The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
quote:Original post by Extrarius
The formula D&D uses (which is the most common cRPG base for some unknown reason)

Hmmm...maybe because it was the first?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement