• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WitchLord

Welcome to the AngelCode forum

9 posts in this topic

Dave was good enough to create this forum for me. Because of AngelScript I''m starting to get a lot of questions that I believe would be better tackled in a forum, than by me single handedly. In this forum you can ask about anything game development related (or anything else you might find on my site). I promise that I will do my best to read all the posts here personally, but if the question you have is directed at me personally you might be better of sending it to my e-mail instead. Well, what are you waiting for? Start asking away... - Andreas www.AngelCode.com

yay let hope this forum doesnt die

typedef unsigned long long int me;
typedef signed short char you;

I'll do my best preventing it from dying, but I can't do it alone so keep posting

Yes, a new forum to moderate. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with this one. I have the advantage of having a personal interest this time so I think it will be ok.

www.AngelCode.com - game development and more...
AngelScript - free scripting library

[edited by - WitchLord on March 9, 2004 1:43:51 PM]

As I''m far to lazy to go through all the docs, could you answer a very basic question:

Assuming it can compiles scripts to some form of byte code (which I assume it does for speed unless it goes all the way with JIT), is it possible to execute X cycles on the virtual machine (that is, rather then run an entire script/function in one call, use an incremental function that lets the virtual machine do a little bit of work and then return control to the appliction)? My main problem with almost every all other scripting system is that they make the assumption that all script functions can execution within a reasonable amount of time.

I would also be interested in how much of a sandbox environment is provided, and how dependent the virtual machine is on the source language (is it like Java, or more like .NET)

There are three ways you can execute a script partly. Either use ExecuteStep() which executes one line of the script (approximately) and then returns. Or you could allow the script to call a registered function that suspends the execution, e.g. suspend(), yield(), or wait(). Another way is to have another thread call suspend on the engine if it executes more than a specified amount of time.

I''m not sure what you mean by a sandbox environment. The virtual machine works with a home grown byte code, but it has been designed for use with C/C++ so it calls the registered system functions directly by copying the parameters onto the application call stack and then invoking the function. For languages that doesn''t work this way, you''ll probably have to write a wrapper for the library, or use proxy functions.

Oops, I have to go now. Time''s up. I''ll come back later to tell you some more.

Andreas

A sandbox environment is basically a scripting environment where you can''t create hostile scripts. Basically you can''t crash the program running the virtual machine (or screw up the virtual machine beyond the point of the VM saying a script failed). You can''t DoS the machine by stealing all CPU or memory resources. You can''t run code outside of the virtual machine, etc.

Whew..........a forum is way better than a mailing list. Cant wait to try out 1.6.1.

Jayanth.K
Raptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.

Ah I understand. Well, I''ve thought much about the security with AngelScript, and I try to make it as secure as possible, in that the script writer is only able to do what the application writer wants.

The scripts use pointers, but as a security issue it doesn''t allow manipulation of them, i.e you cannot read or write the memory that the pointer points to, and you cannot move the pointer manually. The only thing the script can do with pointers is accessing object members (those that are registered by the host application). The script cannot take the address of objects by itself either and doesn''t allow conversion of a pointer type to another type. Basically the script writer is very restricted. Of course, the application writer is allowed to register functions for manipulating pointers directly which might compromise the security.

I''m happy you found your way here Jayanth. I was worried that you wasn''t getting the support you needed for AngelScript. Our communication has been a little slow lately.