Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ Some real quick help using classes and objects...

This topic is 5023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Real quick I need to know how to access a function of an object in another class, from within one class. For example. I need to call print of the object printer (usually printer.print() but I need to do it within a function of computer. doing printer.print(); comes back with undeclared Identifier. Thanks.

You will either need to pass a pointer to the printer to your computer object, or make printer a member of computer. The second one makes more sense to me (a computer HAS a printer):

class Printer
{
//printer stuff
void print();
};

class Computer
{
//computer stuff
public:
void doSomething()
{
printer->print();
}
private:
Printer* printer;
};

let me give a little more info. the actual program is that of a schedule for a student that has courses and instructors. I am creating the objects of courses and instructor in the main function, and when I run the toString function of courses, inside it is supposed to call toString function of instructor. so for example:

instructor instructtest(name); //creates instructor object
course coursetest(coursename, room); //creates course object
coursetest.toString(); //call toString function of coursetest

then for course::toString(); I have the following:

cout << name << " " << room;
instructtest.toString();

and it says instructtest is an undeclared identifier, which I assume is because I created the object in the main function. So how do I make it work?

Like I said, either pass in a pointer to the object or make it a member of the the object that you want to use it in. The two objects live in a different scope right now. They have no knowledge of each other which is what the error is about.

edit: see my example above, it still holds for this. Logically a course HAS an instructor, so make the instructor and member of course.

[edited by - CodeMunkie on March 17, 2004 4:47:27 PM]