Simple indoor level editor

Started by
10 comments, last by Mephs 20 years ago
quote:Original post by Mephs
What I''m still confused about though is 3D tiles with irregular shapes. Take for example a section of cave that is rounded and not a regular shape like a house room would be. How would you ensure that the tiles join together correctly? Is this best left as something for the modellers to deal with to ensure that sections join as near seamlessly as possible (which to me seems like a harsh restriction to deal with), or would there be any way you could enforce this through code?

Well I think the caves are modelled to fit together - but I don''t see why this is a harsh restriction (and as for placing the "Tiles" (Blocks would be a better word I think) - the grid snap helps alot)
Advertisement
Perhaps I'm not thinking as a modeller would, but I'd see it as a harsh restriction to have to ensure that cave sections fit seamlessly with other cave sections.
/------------|            ||            |\            / \          /  \        /   \______/

Take the above bad ASCII art to represent the joining end of a section of cave, remembering that the cross section would probably be more irregular than ASCII art can depict. To ensure that many cave sections are interchangeable, every single joining end of a section of cave would have to have the same cross section at the joining point. This means that the modeller will have to base all his models (or enough that there is room to shuffle tiles around a bit) around having that particular cross section. That is why I think it is a harsh restriction. I think it would be much easier on the modeller to just be able to build any shape section that they desire, within the block size limits (1x1, 2x1, 2x2 etc), and have the editor deal with joining tiles (by manipulating the mesh vertices automatically). Ok, it might take longer to code such a system, but I imagine it would take the modeller longer to ensure that cave sections are interchangeable, especially if you plan on having a wide range of tiles. Perhaps someone has a better suggestion though, or am I seeing this modelling restriction as a bigger problem than it actually is?

Is that making sense?

Cheers,

Steve

[edited by - mephs on March 22, 2004 12:34:33 PM]
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement