Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Depth Buffer Shadow Mapping (ffrom paulsprojects.com)

This topic is 5018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im really stuck at this. Theres a demo of shadow mapping at www.paulsproject.com. Its made for DX8 and im trying to convert it to DX9 but it simply won''t work for me. I have tried everything but its as if the Depth Buffer doesn''t get written at all. Has anyone succeded in using depth buffer shadow mapping in dx9 please tell me how.

Both ATI and NVIDIA have shadow mapping demos in DX8. ATI also has one using DX9''s floating point textures. NVIDIA has numerous presentations and white papers on shadow mapping in general along with many implementations in OpenGL as well.

neneboricua

The theory of shadowmapping is no problem, i''m doing evertything as it should.
The projection works fine when i test with a normal texture but as soon as i switch to the depth-texture i get no shadows, just the scene rendered as usual.
Can i somehow check the context of the depthtexture to see if anything has been written on it at all.

Firstly, what card are you using?

Also, what do you mean by you test it with a normal texture? test a normal projected-texture thing, or are you rendering depth to one of the 8-bit channels?

I don''t see what could be breaking with converting it to DX9, almost nothing should need changing apart from some 8''s to 9''s and the odd parameter.

NB: Don''t use depth textures if you actually want shadow mapping to work on both nVidia and ATi hardware.

-Mezz

I seem to recal something about depth and color surfaces getting swiched around as paramaters somewere.

Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory