MSVC++ 6 bug?, pluggable factories

Started by
4 comments, last by citizen 20 years, 1 month ago
I've been trying to get a pluggable factories implimentation up and running to make my scripting language more easily extendable. My test app for implimenting the method i am using works perfectly, no problems what so ever, how ever the final actual implimentation doesnt. This is not the main problem however. I'm using the map container, and msvc seems to like throwing out about 355+ warnings telling me: X was truncated to 255 characters in the debug symbols. I hesitate to say this warning is useless, but telling me 355 times about a warning which really doesnt tell me any *real* problems in the code gets annoying, especially when i'm trying to find a *real* error amongst this mess. I've tried disabling the warning to no avail. (whereupon i find MS says this is a bug (sorry feature) of the STL map container). Im about ready to write my own or port over to a different development environment or STL implimentation because this is driving my crazy. Does any one know of a fix at all? If you don''t gosub a program loop you''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf [edited by - Citizen on March 17, 2004 7:52:24 PM]
If you don''t gosub a program loop you''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf
Advertisement
The STL code that comes with VC++ 6 is known to be pretty weak and non-standard - the only real choice you have (short of getting VS.NET which fixes the STL problems but probably breaks all your other code) is to switch to another STL implementation.

One such implemenation is here: http://www.stlport.org/download.html

[edit]Can't get the damn link code to work...

- Nanoprobe

[edited by - Nanoprobe on March 17, 2004 7:57:04 PM]
- Nanoprobe
In all cpp-files that includes map or includes a file that includes map or in...well you get the idea, anyway you put this magic line first in those files:
#pragma warning(disable:4786)

Yikes, I even remember the number...I''m marked for life...
Thought so...
I admit that i''ve dabbeled with DevCPP and that STL *seems* alot cleaner and better, strange, free software less buggy than bloody expensive software?
Oh well i prefer the MSVC IDE, when thats not crashing, hanging, or randomly preventing me from saving or compiling my source...

Gotta love MS...

If you don''''t gosub a program loop you''''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf
If you don''t gosub a program loop you''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf
amag:
Yeah tried that, thats part of the ms stl map bug, the #pragma warning(disable:4786) doesn''t do a damn thing...
Why or how this should be i dunno...
Thanks anyway

If you don''''t gosub a program loop you''''ll never get a sub-routine - Kryten Red Dwarf
You have to put the pragma statement BEFORE the include of map.h:
#pragma warning (disable: 4786) #include <map> 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement