Flash Games Advantages and Disadvantages?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kocakola212 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m trying to decide if I should make my 2d RPG game with Macromedia Flash. I didn''t know if I should stick this in with design or programming since it deals with kinda both. I was wondering if someone could tell me the advantages and disadvantages of making a rpg game with Flash. Not all of the game is online, in fact most of it will be offline, but there will be online features. Thanks Cory
Advertisement
If you get intricate scenarios, stats, bonus items, and the like (things that require real programming) then delivering and debugging that in Flash will be a nightmare.

If it''s all just graphics and triggers, it could be done; especially if that''s a tool you know well.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
no it has bonuses ect, but I know Flash really well. And I don''t have much knowledge in putting graphics into my programming, but I am really good with the math aspect of it, and putting together bonuses, stats, ect. Though I do know what you mean about it being a nightmare. Any other advantages and disadvantages?
Math? In a 2D RPG, there really doesn''t need to be advanced math. Multiplying and dividing 12 constants / variables isn''t complex math.
Jump in and crash the system...it''s quite humbling.
The main advantage I see is that you get all your graphics routines for free.

The main disadvantage is that you have a much smaller community of games programmers to help you out when you get stuck.

Having seen many good Flash games, I''m sure it''s capable of doing what you need, but the paradigm is quite different from normal game development so you might be on your own for the most part. Or at least, restricted to getting help from Flash-specific sites.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
there was a multi-player rpg written in director 8 and I suspect that flash is now past that technical level and could handle that easy.

I never used flash for games because you aways used to have a slight delay in the controls and the collision detection was ropey.

There seems no sight of these issues with the latest flash games I have played so I say go for it.

I think the main thing you have to think about is how you are going to store the progress of the player and thier inventory and skills\experience etc when the player wants to stop playing.

I have not seen flash have the abilty to write files yet.

also where are you going to store your levels?
use xml for levels is very good and easy to implement in flash these days.

flash has moved on so you can seperate your source files in to action scripts in action script files. very worth while if you intent to create lots of games and have common functions that could be stored in a library.

Disclaimer:I am not a flash guru by any means. Used to be back on flash 4/5

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement