Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ekim_Gram

Bosses in side shooters and such

Well, right now I just have my basic engine going with my project "Space Blasters". It''s a 2D side scrolling shooter and so far I''ve got my original but crappy ship, and 2 ripped sprites as enemies which I will replace when I make my own. My background is just a scrolling bitmap, nothing special. No special obstacles yet or anything, just a black background bitmap with white boxes as ''stars''. But how do I know when a boss should come? Should I make a timer and have the boss appear after about 2 minutes of shooting enemies? Or should it happen when the player hits a certian score? I''m more leaning towards the timer but it''s going to be a pain to deal with all the 0''s when using SDL_GetTicks().
R.I.P. Mark Osback Solo Pa Mi Gente VG-Force Ekim Gram Productions

You could count the total distance that the ship has traversed. That would ensure that the entire level is completed. That will help if/when you start making more complex, scripted levels.

quote:
Original post by Ekim_Gram
My level is just a 640x480 bitmap looping over itself right now...should I just record how many times it loops and then after x times, I add the boss?

R.I.P. Mark Osback
Solo Pa Mi Gente
VG-Force
Ekim Gram Productions

That would work, although I suggest that you establish a standard system for units. You might count one pixel as one standard unit. So just make a distancetraversed variable and add the number of pixels the ship has traversed every loop.

Thats a design issue. But you can apply more than on constaints.

1-Use distance traveled by camera or ship.

2-Player must destroy a number of enemies of certain classes.

3-The timer isnt a good......