Maya: turning NURBS into triangle meshes

Started by
3 comments, last by jesshang 20 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know how to create triangle meshes from NURBS surfaces? I found the MEL function nurbsToPoly, but I don''t know how to use it correctly. I saw that there is a flag -pt, that lets you specify which kind of polygon to turn it into, but I am getting an error. If anyone knows how to do this either using nurbsToPoly or a better way, please respond. I''m kind of in a rush. Thank you so much. Jessica
Jessica
Advertisement
Are you attempting to write your own 3rd party script or program based of the mel script? or using the melscript itself one one of the nurb surfaces within maya?
No, I''m not trying to write a MEL script... unless that''s the only way. I found nurbsToPoly by searching help in Maya.

What I''m trying to do is write a maya plugin to export selected data that I need to a file (basically... writing my own exporter). I want to the models to be triangular meshes, but right now, they are nurbs surfaces. I can go into greater detail if you need me to. I''m a beginner at both programming and modeling in Maya.

Jessica
Jessica
Oooooohhhhhhh....

... I found the answer:

Modify -> Convert -> NURBS to Polygons

Thanks for your immediate response. I appreciate it.

Jessica
Jessica
I''m not certain if that automatically triangulates or not. It may, but if not, there''s the "Triangulate" command under the Polygon menu.

Have fun with Maya. It''s a beast of a program, but after having 2 years of training...I''d say it''s worth the endless frustration it will bring you. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement