Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to create 2d map with 3d object moving around?

This topic is 5019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, this recently i want to learn a project, to draw a 2d map with 3d object. from my research, i found that A* algorithm is the best short path finding algorithm. I wish to implement it. But my knowledge on the c++ and opengl is limited. Can anyone give me advice on how to draw a 2d map, while 3d object is moving using A* algorithm??? I''m using Visual C++ .Net /visual C++6 to develop this. thanks!!!! Best Regards, from psjie

drawing 2D map.
moving 3D object.
A* algorithm.

All of them have no slightest bit of relationship.

First, you must know how to draw 2D object with OpenGL. Then draw a map.

Second, you must know how to render a 3D object with OpenGL and move it around. Then draw a moving 3D object.

Third...is rather complicated and has nothing to do with OpenGL or anything. You must know data structure before you put your hands on this one.

edit:
psjie, I think you should learn some more C++, OpenGL, and data structure first before trying to make this kind of thing. -_-

[edited by - alnite on March 18, 2004 7:58:11 AM]

Hi ,thank you for giving me advice. First of all, where can i learn all of things you noted above? the openGL code i write is in C++. What can I do if i want to draw a UI, which controled by mouse and keyboard? Because many openGL tutorial is just start from openGL coding, not include Visual C++ MFC. What can I do if I want to link Visual C++ MFC with openGL? Thanks for advice!!! Have a nice day and working hard in game prog. world!

Best Regards,
from psjie

I don''t think you have understood game programming, or programming in general.

OpenGL is graphics API. Graphics is all you get there.

For mouse and keyboard, you need an input API. You can choose DirectInput or even the traditional Win32 API (assuming you are working on Windows).

For how connecting the input and graphics together, I leave that to you as a challenge. If you can''t figure it out, I don''t think your talent is in programming.