Tracing memory leaks

Started by
4 comments, last by llvllatrix 20 years, 1 month ago
The debugger keeps complaining about a memroy leak and i cant seem to find it. Heres what i get from the debugger: Detected memory leaks! Dumping objects -> {128} normal block at 0x006B7BC8, 3496 bytes long. Data: < > 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 07 00 {84} normal block at 0x006B6DF4, 3496 bytes long. Data: < > 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 07 00 Object dump complete. I was wondering if i could use this to determine where the leak occurs. Any suggustions? tia, - llvllatrix
Advertisement
Use _CrtSetBreakAlloc( n ); to break at alocation n. (in your case 128 )

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
I''m assuming you''re using VC++.

The number in the {} is the allocation number of the block of memory that is being leaked. Run your program and note what value is given in the leak dump. Put a breakpoint somewhere at the beginning of your program (i.e. line 1 of the main fuinction) and run the program again. When it breaks, put _crtBreakAlloc (if you''re statically linking the runtime library) or {,,msvcr71d.dll}_crtBreakAlloc (if you''re using the multithreaded dll option - change the dll option to whatever version you''re using)
in the watch window and change its value (it defaults to -1) to the number. Then continue the run. The program should break on the line that allocates the memory being leaked. You might need to move back on the stack a bit to find the code you wrote that is causing the leak but it should be obvious what is causing the problem.

If the allocation number is never the same, then it is a bit harder to track down. There is a way of changing the way the new operator is used to include the line number and file when an allocation is made, so that you can click on the memory leak dump and go straight to the leak, but I haven''t done this myself.

Good luck
thx guys, found it
Super handy tip: if you''re using MFC, add the following to your code (in your stdafx.h is a good spot)

#ifdef _DEBUG// provides file/line numbers in MSVC''s mem leak output   #define new DEBUG_NEW#endif 

Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri
There are also excellent memory managers like mmgr by Paul Nettle
http://www.fluidstudios.com/pub/FluidStudios/MemoryManagers/Fluid_Studios_Memory_Manager.zip
PM Times change...Excuse my poor english!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement