Got Win32 Now need DirectX to work. (updated title)

Started by
22 comments, last by RyoxSinfar 20 years, 1 month ago
Obviously, if you can''t get a normal app to compile, I would consult the documentation that came with the compiler. Duh!

Secondly, I did point you to 10 articles on DirectX.

Third, where to get the sdk? They invented google for that. The funny think is, that when you go to http://www.google.nl/search?q=directx+sdk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=nl&btnG=Google+zoeken&lr=
the first link you find will be.....

The DirectX SDK. H00ray! Or get it here http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/

Well, you should RTFM when you got such problems, and you can''t compile a CPP into a win32 application without a project since the compiler can''t smell what you want it to do.

Toolmaker

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

Advertisement
I just found this old file I wrote up for my brother. This is probably what you need. In particular the link points to the first DX tutorial on AndyPike where he goes over "creating your first project". Hope it helps:
--------------------------------------------------------
Here are my notes on setting up your project to use the DirectX SDK.

In Project->Settings, change "Settings for" to "All Configurations" (not just "Win32 Debug") when making changes. Note, it always changes back to "Win32 Debug" after exiting.

Below worked for me originally, but the AndyPike way is probably better. So I changed to do like he says here:
AnyPike #1
Follow those instructions, but use "d3d9.lib" instead of "d3d8.lib".

------------------------------------------------------------------------
(my old original way)
Project->Settings->Link->General->Object/library modules:
must include d3d9.lib file
Project->Settings->Link->Input->Additional library path:
must include path to DX library files (Lib\)
Project->Settings->C/C++->Preprocessor->Additional include directories:
must include path to DX include files (Include\)

------------------------------------
Also, from DX 9.0 SDK install readme:
- Be sure to set the paths to the DirectX 9.0 lib and headers within Visual Studio. They must be listed first. Otherwise you may experience compiler errors.

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
Thank you reanna thats just what I needed, I am guessing its a WIn32 project?

Now for mr. tool.

well we seem to be lashing out an awefull lot. We enjoy yelling at me for things I did not do yes? Well first off, where to find the SDK? Thanks for the tip, woulda been great if I hadn''t had the SDK for almost a month now, and no one really told me how to get it to work with the program. Had I not talked to reana here (thanks again) I would of gotten completely wrong.

On the oh your so smart part of obviously the .cpp won''t compile... Other than me looking at premade programs, I have a basic class I am taking. And they arn''t even going to do screenbuffer stuff. They don''t even mention project stuff. So again as I aready mentioned, remember the Dr. Seuss tutorials, I have no real experience working with visual studio''s interface (so deep we go backwards, yes?).

And thanks again for the tutorials, which I don''t need, and repeatedly said so too. I did not need to know how to program in anything, I DID need to know how to get it to compile and run.

Well I don''t feel like doing more, so you may say what you wish, I don''t raelly care.

Well, night all

Thanks again reana, really helped me out here.
quote:Original post by RyoxSinfar
Thank you reana thats just what I needed, I am guessing its a Win32 project?

Yes, that will work for a Win32 Application project on VS 6.0. Once you've done it a few times, you'll get used to it. The AndyPike way is really better than what I had directly listed below (EDIT - I mean above). His way will make the directory settings always be there for all new projects you make. Then after the first time, the only setting you'll have to always change will be to add whatever "Object/library modules" you need.

Tadd
- WarbleWare

[edited by - reana1 on March 19, 2004 9:45:58 PM]
Tadd- WarbleWare

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement