Got Win32 Now need DirectX to work. (updated title)

Started by
22 comments, last by RyoxSinfar 20 years, 1 month ago
Lol, here I am attempting to learn the languages (or atleast part, (must beat out my friend's java pong)) and I can't seem to get Win32 programs to compile, (nor do I know how to properly install the DirectX SDK ) could someone enlighten me on these? I see throu the directories that it has some things and Win32 in an option box so I had thought it was ready, but it keeps giving me a unresolved link error about wanting a regular main function. Since non of the tutorials I got has a main function I am thinking its something on my part (you can compile and build/run off of the Visual Studio for both right?). Any help appreciated! Allow me to drive a friend of mine face first into his own smugness! [edited by - RyoxSinfar on March 19, 2004 11:37:58 AM]
Advertisement
When you create a new project, if you create a console application, it will expect a main() function. However, if you create a new Windows application, it will look for a WinMain() function. So you probably need to simply create a new project, and make sure it is a Windows Application, not a Windows Console Application.

int Agony() { return *((int*)0); } Mwahaha... >8)
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
its .cpp if thats what ya mean? Its not executable (the exe that came with does work thou)

(just tried puting in a main, yeah it just gave me press any key to continue (notta happened)

[edited by - RyoxSinfar on March 18, 2004 11:49:08 AM]
Well if you''re trying to compile and link a Win32 program then you need the main function (unless of course you''re making a library, which I''m guessing you''re not).

Maybe you should try out the tutorials at DrunkenHyena which uses DirectX.

Under all circumstances do you need a main function (or WinMain depending on project).

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
It has the WinMain (replacement main as I said), but it wants main?

tried making it exe and it didn't work I am using 6.0...

[edited by - RyoxSinfar on March 18, 2004 11:50:48 AM]
If it has WinMain you should compile it as a Win32 application NOT a console application.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)

[edited by - rohde on March 18, 2004 11:53:08 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
... and what do I need to do that (I havn''t had tha kinda experience yet, I havn''t done more than headers and .cpp (but I have worked in threading and etc... )
If you have WinMain() then in VS when you create a new project, you need to select the project type that says "Win32 Application". If you are using main(), select the type that says "Win32 Console Application".

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
Okay I did that then opened the basic window tutorial I had but it would not run. I also tried opening the .exe file but it gave me the source and no option to compile or build, only run.

Quick walkthrou on how to open the tut then compile and run it maybe? (gone for a few hours

[edited by - RyoxSinfar on March 18, 2004 12:05:41 PM]
Searching should provide some help.
I just glanced at some of those results, but there should be some guides that will walk you through it (I think #9 looked good).

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement