Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cristobal

direct x 9.0 sample browser

hi im trying some executables in the direct x browser, but some of them (nearly all) take lot of time to load and cannot be moved in real time, im running a fx 5200 and with a appli like nvidia fx composer i can move in real time the same kind of real time shaders, why??? thanxs

Burn your fx card and buy an ATI. Seriously though fx cards have had alot of problems and appearantly Valve has made numerous complaints already about it sucking running HF2.

Guest Anonymous Poster
yes i have heard the same for id playing doom on ati cards, anyway that''s not the point..

quote:
Original post by cristobal
hi im trying some executables in the direct x browser, but some of them (nearly all) take lot of time to load and cannot be moved in real time, im running a fx 5200 and with a appli like
nvidia fx composer i can move in real time the same kind of real time shaders, why???
thanxs

Do you have the latest drivers? Some of the samples use advanced techniques that may not be supported by your card.

When you load a sample, is there some text written in the sample window that says something like "Using REF Device"? If so, then it is understandable that the app would be very slow because it is not using the hardware at all. It is using software emulation. The reason it does this is because it detected that the card you have doesn''t support some particular feature that the sample needed to show off some effect. So it falls back to a kind of emulator used for development purposes.

neneboricua

The main thing to look for is if the features used are being hardware accelerated. You may have incorrect or badly configured drivers (you should also check your motherboards AGP driver, since a no-frills 1X default AGP slot is a lot different then an 8X AGP slot).

Another thing to keep in mind that there are different performance characteristics between Ati and nVidia cards. Recent large group benchmarks such as Tom''s Hardware''s VGA roundup (31 different cards compared) have shown some very clear trends between the two manufactures. When running old, low tech apps like Quake III nVidia can meet and beat the equivalent Ati cards consistently. However as you add more advanced hardware features like pixel shaders and higher anti-aliasing Ati quickly takes the lead. DirectX demos are normally designed to showcase the latest features, not demonstrate how fast cards can deal with old ones. This gives a considerable advantage to Ati''s cards.

Yea, it doesn''t have anything to do with ati outperforming nvidia, but just that your fx 5200 does not support all of the features that the DirectX demos require (just like neneboricua19 stated).

To see what features your card actually supports (or doesn''t support, for that matter), check out the ''DirectX Caps Viewer'' utility. It will fully enumerate all the graphics card capabilities, as well as input, sound, and music devices.

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP

ok thanks for the answer here i got something more detail about the problem: i run the hdr cube map sample ,its completely slow
(a delay of about 30 seconds!),this technique can be handle by my fx 5200, in the screen it says: ref(simulated pure hw vp)
hope this help

quote:
Original post by cristobal
in the screen it says: ref(simulated pure hw vp)

That tells you that DirectX runs in simulated software mode. Meaning it does''nt use your hardware acceleration to it''s
fullest. That could depend on bad drivers, faulty DirectX settings or a number of other things.

I also have a fx 5200, and i can run that cubemap sample just fine, so it is something that is''nt working right on your system
or is badly configured.

I''ve got a fx5200 128mb card and it works fine on all the samples. You could tweek it to run at 240+ cpu mhz / 270+ mhz mem, if you like. Search for PowerStrip. Off course dont blame me if you fry the card, although there''s some safety features provided.

hi i''ve found some other interesting stuff about this problem:
i dlded the hdri by masaki kawase(http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/),this one works absolutely fine with my fx 5200(i get 3 or 4 fps wich is ok),but when executing a simple sdk demo like BASIC HLSL(found in the sample browser) i get something like 700 fps in the viewport information????why?
thanxs