Windows taskbar doesn't get restored

Started by
4 comments, last by Night Elf 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m having a really strange problem: I''m running a DirectX full-screen application that sets the screen resolution to 800x600. When I exit the program, the resolution goes back to whatever it was before running the DirectX app, as expected... But the Windows taskbar doesn''t get restored, and it remains as if the screen was still 800x600. If I right click it and select "Lock the taskbar" or if I click the button to reveal hidden tray bar icons, then the taskbar gets refreshed and returns to normal. I don''t know when this started happening, but it wasn''t happening in the past. The program was tested in several computers, always with the same result. As far as the DirectX debug runtime is concerned I''m not forgetting to release anything... So, any idea why this may be happening? I hope you can help me.
Advertisement
On Windows 98, 2000 and XP the application presents the described behaviour. However, on Windows ME, when the program finishes an error message appears stating "Unkown error".

Any clues?
I sure this must have happened to somebody else before. No suggestions?
This is a total guess, but did you do a FlipToGDISurface() before exitting? Or a RestoreDesktopToHowItWasBeforeIScrewedWithIt() or whatever it''s called? It sounds like *something* isn''t being restored, anyway...
That shouldn''t be necessary. DirectX is supposed to take care of it for me. And, to some extent, it does - the desktop goes back to its previous resolution, only the taskbar shows icorrectly...
Do you manually destroy your window using DestroyWindow, or anything similar? I've noticed strange behaviour with calling this function. If I don't call it (though I *should* destroy all my resources), everything works as expected. If I do call it, maximized windows get restored really weird. Maybe your problem has got something to do with this as well.

HTH

Marc

[edited by - Marc aka Foddex on March 23, 2004 5:17:26 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement