Interpolating Vectors (from Vertex to Pixel Shaders)

Started by
4 comments, last by MigPosada 20 years, 1 month ago
Still trying to figure out how to implement good quality "per-pixel" lighting even with low polycount. I'm sure my problems come from the interpolation of the vectors across the triangle (for example, the light direction). It's not just denormalization (I'm renormalizing in the pixel shader). In order to fix those problems, I wanna ask some things: 1. Is there a difference between passing vectors as Texture Coordinates or as Color Values? 2. Which method is the best for which case? 3. Any limitations to the vectors I can interpolate across? What I already know: - If passing by the vectors as color values, they are normalized and scaled to 0.0 - 1.0 range. - Gouraud Shading must be used. - To be careful with the wrapping of texture coordinates. - Vectors should be renormalized in the pixel shader (normalization cube map in play). Any thoughts about this topic are highly appreciated. Computer Programming is Magic! Hold the Power! [edited by - MigPosada on March 18, 2004 4:20:32 PM]
Computer Programming is Magic! Hold the Power!
Advertisement
Color values are clamped values, texture values are arbitrary fpu

You want to use phong or blinn, not gouraud (since it really is what you want to avoid)

renormalize vectors with a texture cube of adequate resolution. 16x16 (or 32x32) is good. Higher, and you will get quantization artifacts.

The Cg toolkit has an example.
If you use asm, just compile the code with cgc.exe to get the asm output and see.
Act of War - EugenSystems/Atari
But for pre-2.0 shaders, texture coordinates are clamped too, right?

I got very good results with the vertex'' world position as output of the vertex shader instead of the light direction (computed now in the pixel shader side). But this only works right with ps 2.0.

And I was using a 256x256 normalization cube map, hehe.

Last question, for the cube map, nearest point or linear filtering?
quote:

typedef enum _D3DSHADEMODE {
D3DSHADE_FLAT = 1,
D3DSHADE_GOURAUD = 2,
D3DSHADE_PHONG = 3,
D3DSHADE_FORCE_DWORD = 0x7fffffff
} D3DSHADEMODE;

Constants

D3DSHADE_PHONG
Not supported.

And the 256x256 cube map is nicer (with any filtering type)
quote:Original post by MigPosada
But for pre-2.0 shaders, texture coordinates are clamped too, right?

no, not if you sample directly from them. yes, if you use them as colours or other vectors. then, you will use passtrough, wich clamps them per pixel. still much bether than the per vertex clamping of the colour interpolators.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Mission Accomplished!

What was I doing:

- VS: Normalized light vector as color output (0.5 * LightDir + 0.5).
- PS: Get light vector (2.0 * Color - 1.0) and renormalize it with the cube map.

What I do now:

- VS: Non-normalized light vector as texcoord output. (If I normalize it, the artifacts come back).
- PS: Get light vector directly and normalize it with the cube map.

In this image the color output of the PS is the light vector:

http://www.sicosys.org/~migposada/vectornightmare.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement