Last effort on this difference equation..

Started by
3 comments, last by Terren 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi.. Just a last resort effort to see if anyone can shed some light on how to solve this; some guidelines would be very much appreciated.. I have to find the general solution of this difference equation: Yn+4 - 6Yn+3 + 14Yn+2 - 14Yn+1 + 5Yn = 1 .. where n+4, n+3, .. are subscripts of Y. I realise to do this you substitute L^n for Yn (where L = lambda) and find an auxiliary equation to find roots, but all the examples we''ve been given deal with equations of the form Yn+2 + Yn+1 + Yn , which is fairly easy to find the roots for. But how can I find the roots for the above 4th order equation? Should I be using Newtons method for this? If anyone can help that would be grand
Advertisement
NM.. just read homework help rules.. sorry mods
There is such a thing as a closed-form solution to find the roots of a quartic expression. Try looking up the "quartic formula".
quote:Original post by Terren
NM.. just read homework help rules.. sorry mods

Its okay. At least you found the rules!

Graham Rhodes
Principal Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
You probably have to find the roots "creatively", using exp(lambda*x), if it''s HW. Or use an iterative method like Newton. What have you learned in this course?

Remember, though, that the solution to the inhomogeneous equation is the general solution to the homogeneous one + one specific solution of the inhomogeneous equation (that you have to find creatively again, AFAIK).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement