Importance of Calculus?

Started by
13 comments, last by newOperator 20 years, 1 month ago
Depends. What level of calculus are you talking about? If you mean basic high-school calculus, (derivatives, integrals), then yes. These concepts are fundamental in math and physics. You''ll get nowhere without it (same with Linear Algebra, you _need_ to know your vector/matrix math and linear transforms for any _graphics_ programming).

Do you need to know University level calculus? Maybe. I''m writing a clothsim right now and it''s interesting to see real-world applications to ''useless'' first-year math like Taylor approximations, mid-point integration, and so on. And it doesn''t hurt to understand orthogonal/orthonormal basis, product spaces, etc. when you''re writing a renderer or raytracer, although it''s not strictly necessary.

Math is a shallow pyramid of knowledge. The fundamentals at the base (arithmetic, fractions, simple geometry, simple algebra), are completely necessary for everyone, without exception. Thankfully these concepts are extremely simple and taught in grade school. In fact most of what you need for life you finished learning before puberty. Stepping up the pyramid severely decreases the application of math concepts. Do I _need_ to understand FFT''s to use them? As an average office worker? Definitely not. As a programmer? Still no. As a graphics programmer? Even then probably not, I can likely find code for whatever it is I''m doing online somewhere. But understanding it for myself gives me full control over my program, and opens up the possibility for advanced optimization. Furthermore I''ll reduce bugs by understanding what my functions actually do, and be able to extend the functionality with (relative) ease.

Also, advanced graphics papers on light modelling, water simulation, etc. will crush you without calculus. Actually they''ll crush you with or without it, but that''s another thread. I was looking into writing a Navier-Stokes solver for water simulation the other day for example, and without having any fluid mechanics courses under my belt, I was completely overwhelmed. I can comprehend the overly simplified non-compressible heightfield approximations (like in the dxsdk), but the real thing is just baffling.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. By the way, good programming and software design skills are easily 10x more important than sound mathematical knowledge for game programming.

P.S. I assume you''re a high-school student, age 16-17 or so? High-school calculus is really fun. Mostly memorizing derivatives/integrals, a few identities, and simple ''class'' problems. (Filling a conveniently shaped tank at one rate while it drains at another, calculating how much fuel you need to get to the moon, stuff like that). If the course isn''t mandatory in your school (I know some places postpone that till first year uni/college), you should definitely sign up for it anyway. Easy marks if you''re mathematically inclined in any way and have decent study habits.
Advertisement
Oh god calculus was pure torture... i hated that sh*t!! But yeah it''s good stuff to know (or at least get the hang of).

These days you don''t need to be able to solve any it--that''s what computers are for--but you will need to understand what''s going on.
"These days you don''t need to be able to solve any it--that''s what computers are for--but you will need to understand what''s going on."

Any manual/rote calculation is always by far the easiest part.
Sounds like it''s useful for physics and 3D. Personally I''ve never needed to use any.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Lol, i probably must have studied it in my maths classes, but that was like 3-4 years ago and now i don''t even know what one of the concepts listed in this thread is about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement