Music file compatibilities with Xbox and PS2

Started by
2 comments, last by Buckles 20 years, 1 month ago
Heya peeps, I have been writing music for PC games for a while, which is fine. But recently Pandemic Studios, Brisbane studio (my local game company) has started projects on the Xbox and/or PS2 which Id like to see if I can join.... The problem is, before I even say something, id like to know whether there are any specific file formats which I need to supply my music in, in order for them to play on an xbox or ps2...??? By file formats, I mean .wav, .mp3, .aiff etc. I have never actually known.....could someone enlighten me please? Thanks -s www.mp3.com.au/scottbuckley [edited by - buckles on March 18, 2004 7:01:42 PM] [edited by - buckles on March 18, 2004 7:25:52 PM]
Advertisement
we use .aiff for source sound files on PS2 and Gamecube. there are sound tools that convert aiff -> some hardware mungeable format.

i can''t remember exactly how the xbox process works.
Either:

a) An uncompressed PCM format such as WAV or AIF, in which case the developer will convert the files in to their final format.

b) The developer will give you the tools to do the converting to save them the bother.

PS2 and XBox both use ADPCM compression (VAG files on PS2 and ADPCM encoded WAVs on XBox). I suspect XBox also has other options such as WMA.
Thanks guys, this helps a bunch!

-s

www.mp3.com.au/scottbuckley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement