Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

persil

DirectDraw, are DMA blits possible?

The subject is pretty self-explanatory. I''m trying to get that supposed-to-work DDBLT_ASYNC stuff to work, but I''ve tried my best to work on separate buffers to allow the async blits to work, and I set the flag, I even tried PAGE_LOCKING the surface before, but it never goes faster than before. Is there anyone who actually has experience with that and that got it to work? How???

Actually, the strangest thing is that, when I start my test app, the graphics go crazy fast for about half a second and then it goes back to slow motion, as always. I''m wondering what''s happening???

There is really no one who can help me out on this? Getting barely 60fps on a P4 with a FX5600 with 2D graphics, without even pushing the graphics a little is pretty disappointing

Not sure if this helps, but if your code isn''t private/secret, you can send me something and I''d look into it, because I''m kind of interested in that topic. 4 eyes and 2 brains are definitely better than one

Muhammad Haggag
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

Yeah, well... it''s not that private, I could send you the bits related to this, but the thing is, it''s really darn big since I''ve been working on this for a while. It''s a DDraw wrapper with custom blits and polymorph''d surface classes.

It works pretty well, except for that annoying detail. How can it be running at, let''s say 100 fps for a second, and then drop to 50fps for the remaining...

Coder: you''re saying that you''re working on this topic, what have you managed to do so far? I''m sure that DMA is not, or almost not used in my test prog, even though it SHOULD be, I even took care of using 2 separate buffers that I swap to avoid cross-locking...