error launching a dx9 game [SOLVED]

Started by
7 comments, last by brann 20 years, 1 month ago
here is the situation On a pc with this installed, the game will work: - win XP - .net 1.1 - dx9 sdk + summer update - visual .net 2003 and on a pc with this installed, it wont : - win XP - .net 1.1 - Dx9.0b (end user) the error is not telling much about the problem( apllication has generated an exception that could not be handled) The game works fine on 3 others computers with the sdk and visual studio did i miss something obvious? [edited by - brann on March 19, 2004 7:16:55 PM]
Advertisement
You need to be able to debug on the offending machine. The SDK being absent should have nothing to do with it.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
my question is not why cant I debug

my question is why is the game failing?

i dont think that visual studio is to be installed for a game to run correctly
Installing the end-user Dx9 SDK, or the end-user .NET framework, will NOT Install the end-user managed DirectX redistributable.

You have to tell the user to install the SDK, or to install the redistributable, adding a special command line switch (or right-clicking the managed directX .msi file and choosing "install") for it to work.

Yes, this sucks, and doesn''t exactly make it easy to ship Managed DirectX Games.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
oh i see...

thx for the hint !!
... but it''s not working

i installed the retail version of Managed directx, and i still have the same error...

There is no way we''re going to be able to point out the problem based on that information.

What you need to do is better error handling and logging. If your app produces a log as it goes and handles all errors properly then it should be trivial to find where it''s failing.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
you are right

i have added logging support to my app, here is the failing line :

device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, Game.instance , CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, pres);

the exception raised is
Error in the application.
-2146232832 (Unknown)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, Control renderWindow, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
at starshooter.MGraphics.InitializeGraphics()

pres is
private PresentParameters pres = new PresentParameters();
pres.Windowed = true ;
pres.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard;
pres.EnableAutoDepthStencil = true ;
pres.AutoDepthStencilFormat = DepthFormat.D16;

As i said before, the computer is running windows XP, with the .net 1.1 runtime, and the managed directx retail.
it has directx 9.0b installed

the hardware is an asus pundit

another noticeable thing is that the creation of a directinput device works, so the error seems to come from direct3d (this seems to exclude a misinstalled directx)

ideas?

[edited by - brann on March 19, 2004 5:12:15 PM]
i''ve found the answer : the graphic card is just not supporting dx9
it''s strange because the hardware is not that old

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement