Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

commander keen

newbie needs advice

I am a experienced C++ programmer for DOS from years and years ago, but have just started to learn windows programming and directx reading TOTWGPG. I have completed reading the book and am really excited to start reading TOT3DGPG. However I have not made anything big after reading the game programming book. If i just move on to the 3D book, and use direct3d to make a simple game that is as much closer to 2d as possible, am i in for a big surprise? lol is it that important for me to be comfortable with direct2D before starting 3d? I am extremely good in math and have done 2D and 2.5D games under dos many years ago. im a experienced programmer only new to windows & directx. comments? TOTWGPG - Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus TOT3DGPG - Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus [edited by - Commander Keen on March 18, 2004 11:19:34 PM]

Nowadays, it''d probably be more hassle in just creating the illusion of a true 2d game than it would be to just let people know it WAS 3d, even if the movement is limited to 2 dimensions.

Since, you know, ever since (I think it was) DX8 dropped DirectDraw. But if you already have experience and know some basic game logic already, you should not have too difficult a time at all getting started.

But remember: the first project is gonna take a helluvalotta work, even if it''s only Tetris. A lot of that time is going to be spent with you looking up functions and trying to locate syntax errors. But since you say you DO, indeed, have experience...you''re probably good to go.

BTW, I haven''t read either of those books, so I apologize if the information is inaccurate.

"TV IS bad Meatwad...but we f***in need it"

If you''re a girl under the age of 12, and you''re high on marijuana...don''t ride your bike. -TRUTH

TOT3DGPG does not use DirectX or any API for that matter. You build a 3d engine from scratch. You build your own API. If you can plot a pixel on the screen via direct video memory access, DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, whatever.. then you have the sufficient "API knowledge" for TOT3DGPG.

Also, as far as DirectX dropping DirectDraw one might argue there is a difference between "dropping" and no longer updating. Hardware vendors aren''t developing cards optimized for 2d graphics anymore. DirectDraw/3d/etc are meant to be thin layers of abstraction between program and hardware. There is really nothing left for them to add to DirectDraw. Have they also dropped DirectInput?