Good Books/References For A Beginner

Started by
5 comments, last by General Chaos 20 years, 1 month ago
Howdy everyone, I am rolling up on my second semester as a Computer Science major at MSU, and I have taken an extreme interest in the design of video games. I find the net an extremely daunting place to look for tutorials and information, so I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for books or explicit websites on the matter. I have only had 2 semesters of programming in C++ so anything "dumbed down" would be perfect! Thanks in advance! :-D [edited by - General Chaos on March 18, 2004 11:26:09 PM]
Advertisement
Books:

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/
www.gamedev.net/reference
Flamers are worst than Newbies
Check out this list/tutorial/path to learning game programming.

There are a few problems with the list though:

1) In step one, DO NOT buy C Programming Language (2nd Edition). It''s just a short repeat to C Primer Plus.
2) Ignore all of the discouraging remarks for they can get to you.
3) Do not buy The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition). I have this book and even though I have not yet read it, C++ Primer Plus was all I needed to get started.
4) In step 2, DO NOT buy Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition) unless you really want to develop 2D games. Instead get Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus (as I did).

If you can get through this list (as I am doing) you will be a game programming guru/great/god/etc. .

"Do not flame people you don''t know in a public forum. Only amateurs do that. Professionals in the industry know they will run into each other over and over. The person you flame this year may the person you want to do business with next year. Don''t burn your bridges," (Diana Gruber, http://www.makegames.com/chapt6.html).
Thanks a ton for your responses...I am going to check out all of those and see what works for me!
Here's a link to 2 e-books about C++ which might be useful seeing as you only have limited C++ experience:

Thinking In C++

EDIT: fixed link

[edited by - Spudder on March 19, 2004 3:59:01 PM]
quote:Original post by DIRECTXMEN
Check out this list/tutorial/path to learning game programming.

There are a few problems with the list though:

1) In step one, DO NOT buy C Programming Language (2nd Edition). It''s just a short repeat to C Primer Plus.
2) Ignore all of the discouraging remarks for they can get to you.
3) Do not buy The C++ Programming Language (Special 3rd Edition). I have this book and even though I have not yet read it, C++ Primer Plus was all I needed to get started.
4) In step 2, DO NOT buy Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (2nd Edition) unless you really want to develop 2D games. Instead get Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus (as I did).

If you can get through this list (as I am doing) you will be a game programming guru/great/god/etc. .

"Do not flame people you don''t know in a public forum. Only amateurs do that. Professionals in the industry know they will run into each other over and over. The person you flame this year may the person you want to do business with next year. Don''t burn your bridges," (Diana Gruber, http://www.makegames.com/chapt6.html) .

I have read The C Programming Language and have C Primer Plus. In no way is it a repeat, the things about The first book(IMO) is the exercises teach you a lot if you attempt it and you can look at the answers. The information is good also, it''s the best programming book I have read. Same can''t go for C Primer Plus, it''s good but not that good.

The C++ Programming Language isn''t like C++ Primer Plus(Which I heard was complete crap by a lot fo peole but you and a select few). It''s not to teach you it''s a reference, it contains a whole lot of info on C++.

It isn''t necessary to start with 2D games but it will save you a lot of trouble. But that''s just me, I don''t feel like programming 3D games, even if it was easier. That book doesn''t even teach an API which I would think you should learn first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement