asking permission

Started by
6 comments, last by EkEk 20 years ago
i''m here to ask permission from nehe author to use your great tutorials into new curiculum courses in my university. i''m currently working at a University in Indonesia called BiNus and my superior officers give an opportunity to open a new courses. And in my place (Indonesia) OpenGL seems not appreciated because very few people know about it. So i''m thinking to give my superior a proposal to open OpenGL course. And i''d like to use your tutorials to become our curiculum for the course. do I have your permission to adapte your tutorial??? thx for your attention! PS: if you people have a idea for this curiculum, i really appreciated it.
Advertisement
Email Jeff Molofee himself @ nehe@connect.ab.ca (email found on the nehe homepage).

EDIT: i don't know how much you are into OpenGL but you should check out the red book:
http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~unreal/theredbook/

[edited by - Tree Penguin on March 19, 2004 6:19:41 AM]
Idea: Maybe make the final aim of the course to make a small opengl game, and use NeHe tutorials as, well... tutorials That way the students doing the course will use the tutorials to focus on a specific opengl feature in an isolated environment, and then apply the knowledge they have learnt from the tutorials in combining them for their final assignment. This should foster understanding, rather than just rote learning, which will benefit the students far more in the long run.

I bumped into my old university professor a year or two ago and he told me that he was doing a course similar to what I was suggesting (as far as I remember). I don't think he was using NeHe tutorials, but had probably written his own. I recall that I was quite disappointed to have already graduated when I heard what he was doing, as I was just getting into opengl myself and I know I would have really enjoyed the course.

As Tree Penguin suggested, mail Jeff and ask him. Good luck with the course plans

EDIT: spelling

[edited by - Custard Slice on March 19, 2004 9:46:09 AM]
Well the down side if you use NeHe''s tutorials is not getting the full understanding. What is the modelview matrix? How are rotations done (no not glRotate)? How is lighting calcuated? And so on.

I would recomend not ONLY using NeHe''s tutorials, but a combonation (the red book is good and free).

Just my 2 cents.
make students buy his CD =)
Actually, i think you should only teach nehe''s tutorials; that way students learn to research the stuff they dont know. Researching is something that no course i''ve ever attended teaches and its something that is definitely required when programming.
Thx for your ideas guys.
I''ll email to Jeff right away.
I would also greatly recommend the OpenGL Programming Guide (The Red Book). It has some nice code examples, but they use GLUT. GLUT is very nice for learning reasons, and makes it easier to focus on the OpenGL part, instead of all the hassle of creating a window in a win32 application.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement