Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help!

This topic is 5020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with alpha blending. I have poly with texture A and poly with texture B. Poly A has all pixels with 50% alpha channel and B has 100% alpha. So i turned on alphablending, turned off z-buffer and rendered polies. First, i rendered poly A, then poly B. I have poly B laying on the poly A, but B poly is further by Z value. But when i render firstly B and then A, i have effect that i wanted: i can see poly B through A. Does it mean i should render polies in special way? Is it possible to render them in random way? I didn''t manage to find out solution in the SDK.

The traditional method is to render all opaque (non-translucent, alpha = 1) polygons first, then you sort your translucent objects back-to-front and render them in that order (back-to-front).

There are methods to allow order-independent transparency, but none of which work on all hardware (nVidia has a paper demonstrating this using depth peeling, but it only works on their hardware, as far as I recall. Search their developer subweb)

Muhammad Haggag
Bitwise account: MHaggag -