Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ganJa

intersection detection for oriented ellipsoids

hi, can anobody help me with this feature? there is should be a simple way to build condition of intersection for two free oriented ellipsoids, but i can''t find it.. sapiense eX litigo

hmmm

One idea would be to rotate both ellipsoids around the center of one of the ellipsoids so that one of the ellipsoids is axis-aligned.

And then change into a different space, where the axis-aligned ellipsoid is a unit sphere.

The problem here is I don''t know how you would transform the other, rotated ellipsoid. If you could do that then you could rotate the unit sphere around the scaled ellipsoid and reduce your problem to something a lot simpler.

I''ll think about how to scale a rotated ellipsoid... Or maybe there is a better method.

I don''t think it''s that simple. doing the local space transform, you can see the other ellipsoid possibly getting a weird shape, so a bad sign. A GJK algo, or similar separation axis algo would be a route.

or either, approximate one ellipsoid with several spheres, or approximate both with boxes...