Wanting to learn MFC

Started by
9 comments, last by d000hg 20 years ago
This has been changed: I can't find a decent MFC tut on msdn, just reference guides and introductions. Google wants to give me book references and msdn so could someone recommend good online tuts for learning mfc in visual c++ 6.0, preferably for an experienced c++/win32 programmer? Thanks [edited by - d000hg on March 25, 2004 7:45:57 AM]
Advertisement
The MSDN tutorials on MFC are more than adequate to teach you all you need to get started. It really isn''t hard at all (which is why it is used). Do the ''Scribble'' project, then figure out what you want to do.

COM is a black box style of component based programming. DCOM is COM over networks. (ActiveX is a form of COM). In a nutshell, it is a client-server programming technique with rigid enforcement of declared versioned interfaces.

COM can be easy or hard depending on the technique you use. If you try to do it in C, you will learn a lot, but it''ll be brain hurting and tedious. If you do it in C++ using ATL it''ll be a lot easier, but you might not see everything that is going on under the hood. If you do it in VB you can do it without even knowing you did it (and learn absolutely nothing).

I''d recommend starting at the ATL level.

Oddly enough, I did more COM programming at my previous jobs than when I became a game programmer.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Oddly enough, I did more COM programming at my previous jobs than when I became a game programmer.

Why is that odd?

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
i wud say... u wud get simpler links if u search through google..i am also a kind of beginner in MFC...MSDN is ok....but there are better sites out there...just search thru google..browse a little through the sites...if it suits ur pallete...go for it....

or otherwise...start with msdn...if it dosent clear all ur doubts...look into google...s standard way out..

Tough times don''t last,Tough people Do.
Well, if you want to learn MFC the best resource is Jeff Prosise''s book "Programming Windows with MFC, 2nd Edition". It really teaches you the nuts and bolts of MFC. And the really great part about it is that for like half of the book you don''t use the various wizards but instead write all the code yourself, manualy, incl. message maps etc. This way you get a good understanding of what lies under the hood when using the wizards later on. Stuff whichi is important if you''re gonna do any serious work in MFC.
I''ve re-done this question to focus especially on MFC...
In my opinion the book The MFC Answer Book is the best one I have come across by Eugene Kane. It is a huge kinda FAQ from everything you need to get started properly.

I swear by it!
Can''t afford books... looking for online resources (or ebooks I guess!)
CodeGuru

It''s where I learned.

-fel
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Then go <a href=http://www.dhruvaraj.com">here</a>. Couple on VC++ and MFC

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement