Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free source-control recommendations please?

This topic is 5022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to set up a source control system for my open-source project Tangle so that we (myself and the other people working on it) can work together properly. I have a Windows Server 2003 dedicated box online and am guessing some sort of CVS implementation is the way to go. I want an easy way for everyone to be able to check stuff in and out though. Ideally I''d like either a non-PHP/non-CGI web interface OR a windows application which can connect to the server and check stuff in and out. The server is running SQL Server as well, if that''s relevant. Any recommendations/advice are welcome. An inexpensive commercial package is also acceptable, but only if it''s very inexpensive. Snowman | Ardaxus | Nathan --------------------------------- Tangle - Persistent World Toolkit tangle.netlab.com.au

Subversion is definitely the way to go. Setting up a CVS server on Windows is a pain. In fact, CVS is a pain in general. Subversion has pretty much all the good stuff from CVS, and very little of the bad stuff. In addition, Subversion has a lot of features CVS doesn't have.

There are very few reasons to choose CVS over Subversion today.

Read the Subversion book, and the TortoiseSVN guide to installing a server on Windows.

TortoiseSVN comes highly recommended as a general Windows client, but if you use VS.NET, you should also check out AnkhSVN.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]

[edited by - Arild Fines on March 19, 2004 11:45:57 AM]