Game Application?

Started by
3 comments, last by X2pcg21 20 years, 1 month ago
I learned a lot of C++ and a little C, but I am still having trouble figuring out exactly how I can apply that to gaming. It would be great if anyone could offer some helpful suggestions...
Advertisement
a better way of viewing the problem would be, "i want to make Pong, how do i code it". it will give you concrete problems to solve rather than abstract ones.

so that's your assignment. write pong. now ask your questions with that specific task in mind.

some good first questions might be:

"how do i draw to the screen?"
"how do i move the ball?"

but before you ask those questions start by reading everything in the "For Beginners" section up above under the "resources" menu at the top of the page.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on March 19, 2004 3:53:18 PM]
(I think he's referring to outputting graphics to the screen, becuas ewhen i treid C++ i almost gave up because i couldnt display an image)

use DirectX (or OpenGL, i prefer DirectX) <-- if u really want to learn it, get "Role Playing Games with DirectX8"

edit: typo

[edited by - The Pentium Guy on March 19, 2004 5:48:41 PM]
quote:Original post by The Pentium Guy
(I think he''s referring to outputting graphics to the screen, becuas ewhen i treid C++ i almost gave up because i couldnt display an image)

use DirectX (or OpenGL, i prefer DirectX) <-- if u really want to learn it, get "Role Playing Games with DirectX8"

edit: typo

[edited by - The Pentium Guy on March 19, 2004 5:48:41 PM]

How are you going to recommend directx or opengl to a complete newbie? Why not just tell him to start with assembler?

Try sdl or allegro and don''t listen to fools.
quote:Original post by sagwagon
How are you going to recommend directx or opengl to a complete newbie?

openGL itself is hardly difficult. the only difficult part about using openGL or directX is the linear algebra you need to use to figure out 3D movement. but the basic stuff you can easily pick up in no longer than a week.

my first graphics API was openGL and i found it a breeze. especially with things like the NeHe tutorials which let you know how to open an application window, getting to the point of moving a camera around a world with simple objects was the easiest thing in the world.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement