Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev-Cpp/GCC3.2 and direct x

This topic is 5017 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I decided to start programing again and in the past I''ve been using MVC++6 intro. Since I would have to buy the full version to be able to pass around the EXEs I thought I would try the Dev-cpp IDE using GCC. I tried start a new app that just sets the vid mode and aquires the mouse and keyboard. Everything compiles fine but the program always crashes. I tried other programs and the same thing always happens. Its crashing when I try to do anything other than set the vid mode. Setting the color key, setting up Direct input all crash the program. Took me quite awhile to find out that it was not just one thing but a whole mess of thngs causing problems. Same code in MVC works fine. I have no idea what to do since there is nothing wrong with the code itself. I using old DX7 and tried using the .a files for gcc I found for DX7 and the ones that came with it. Even tried the .lib files for MVC. All do the exact same thing. I''m using DX7 because I just neen DD. I have all the things and info I need to make what I want so I don''t really want to have to go off and learn a bunch of new tricks to do what I alread know how to do. Nor do I want to toss out a wad of cash on MVC when the Dev-Cpp IDE is free and is pleasant to use. So If anyone has licked this or has any usful ideas feel free to let me know.

Goober King, unfortunately, I have no idea how to get
DirectX 7 to work with Dev-CPP but I do know how to get
DirectX 8.1 to work with Dev-CPP. Please read my article at:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2067.asp

I can even compile Jim Adam's engine just fine on it. My
own engine is based on Jim's and it has DirectShow playing
an intro cutscene as well.

Hope that helps. ^_^

Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
www.Sherman3D.com
chat.Sherman3D.com
forum.Sherman3D.com
www.VibeForce.com

[edited by - sherman on March 19, 2004 11:23:22 PM]

Thanks. I''ll give the stuff a try. I was hoping to not have to download the new SDK over my dial-up connection but its worth a try. So this weekend I get to spend trying to figure out how I''m going to do things I already knew how to do instead of actualy coding like I planned. I have an attention problem and this isn''t helping. I hope to actualy finnish something one day. I''m feeling strangly commited so maybe I''ll fight my way through it all.

I am on a 56K connection too. ^_~ Anyway, please feel
free to e-mail me at info at Sherman3D.com or post at
forum.Sherman3D.com if you run into any problems. For some
strange reason, I can''t seem to set this forum to automatically
e-mail me when a reply is posted.

Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
www.Sherman3D.com
chat.Sherman3D.com
forum.Sherman3D.com
www.VibeForce.com