Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warsong

Do gamers care for mini games in a game?

Do gamers care for mini games in a game? You know, games having within them small games that requires different skills which you have to pass sometimes to progress. I think they are cool sometimes but I don’t care for puzzle elements in an action game since I want some action, and if I wanted a puzzle game I would fiddle around with brain teasers. Thats my opinon.

I do. For instance, in Donkey Kong 64, sometimes I would only turn it on to paly the old 8 bit original game

Mini games can make a game much better IMO if done right.

They're especially good if as a reward they give the player something (and item, ability) that is very nice to have, though not required for gameplay.

edited for comma abuse

[edited by - Veovis on March 19, 2004 11:13:32 PM]

If you only have one or two and the prizes are uber items (that you can't get them nowhere else), that's fine. If you have gazillion of them like FF where the prizes are like 100 Hi-Potions, forget it.

[edited by - alnite on March 19, 2004 11:14:21 PM]

The best thing to remember when designing mini-games is that just because they are mini doesn''t mean you shouldn''t design a quality game for people to play. To many games throw in some boring pointless mini-game that seems to be more of a waste of time than fun.

I remember a little mini-game in SpaceQuest 4 (I think) where you were in a space arcade and got to play you''re favourite old game (some sort of chicken-egg bombing thing). It was silly and fun, but didn''t seem at all critical to the game itself. Stuff like that, in the right place, can often be quite amusing.

I think FF VII has one of the best replay values because of its minigames. hell that why i played for almost a year after i beat it.... that and the golden chocobo!

they also help if they allow players to get to those more obscure parts of your game.

When I was younger, I played Sam & Max: Hit the Road. A friend and I used to turn it on just to play the "Car bomb" game. It was like a version of Battleship.

I really like minigames when they''re in addition to the regular game. I generally find it annoying when you have to do so well in an unrelated minigame to proceed in the main game, because it''s not what I''m playing the game for. Otherwise, when used to open up extra or special features or abilities, or just as rewards thenself, I think they''re fun. The exception is obviously if they''re a main feature of your game, like Mario Party, or Fusion Frenzy.

In any case, the most important thing is that they''re simple, quick, and fun, so that I want to spend a few minutes playing them. Some of the games in FF7 for example weren''t really fun to play, and so after completing them in the main game, I never touched them again.

tj963

Oh, I feel they definitely are welcome additions to any game. Though I don''t think they should be a requirement. In some cases, though, the mini-game may divert from the main game. IE, a friend of mine racked up many hours on Blitzball, in FFX. Then when it came time to fight Sin (one of the final bosses), he became disinterested, and never finished the game. The same thing happened to my cousin too. I really find this odd, because the ending is one , if not the, best part of that game.

----------
Intercalate obligatory platitudinous plagiarism here.

quote:
Original post by MillaTime
Oh, I feel they definitely are welcome additions to any game. Though I don't think they should be a requirement. In some cases, though, the mini-game may divert from the main game. IE, a friend of mine racked up many hours on Blitzball
On the contrary, I hate Blitzball. That's not mini anymore. Takes too much effort to finish it, hiring good people, getting comfortable with the control, and the prize is the (not-so) uber weapon that's completely optional.

[edited by - alnite on March 19, 2004 12:16:15 AM]

I remember spending hours at the fishing pond in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was a nice break from the dungeon storming. But most mini games are a waste unless they have something major to add to the game.

Somtimes they add value and sometime they just get on your nervers if they aren''t avoidable.

For instance in KOTOR, that ''Shot the Interceptor'' minigame got really boring/annoying after about 3rd time through it. It was tied directly to the game though, because if you lost, you died.

But the Pazaak minigame, I found to be quite fun and it also affected game play in that you could lose/earn money playing it.

ASTRO CHICKEN! hehe that was in almost all the space quest games in one form or another.
mini games are wicked. i love in zelda how you can get bigger bomb bags or wallets by collecting all the skuletas or shooting all the diamonds with your arrows. also in ff7, the golden saucer was a nice deturant from the rest of the game.
mini games offer a chance to give the player a breather if he would like it but also keep him involved in the game. however i dont think they should be tied to the game, keep em on the sidelines and offering bonuses that are optional.

I''m definitely another in the "put ''em in but keep ''em optional" camp. Blitzball in FFX was just OK because you only had to play once, and losing wasn''t in any way game critical. On the other hand, I think it''s symptomatic of the flaws in the FF series that the mini-game was so much more fun than the routine combats - heck, even the lightning dodging mini-game began to look pretty good compared with trying to max out the sphere grid...

In general, a mini-game that offers advantages in-game is OK, a mini-game that is completely irrelevant to the main game is acceptable, and a mini-game you have to play once, but can lose and still complete the game is also OK, but a mini-game you have to play and win in order to "win" the main game is decidedly dodgy. Deciding whether it still qualifies as a mini-game at that stage is another issue entirely.

In breath of fire 4... I think it was there where lots of little mini games, most of them where just one time events that you performed at certain points in the story, like using a crane to load a ship with in certain time limit. There where also recurring mini games that could be done whenever you wanted to such as fishing. The player was always reward for doing well on the plot specific mini games, and the optional ones such as fishing always provided some benefit like allowing you to trade fish for diffrent special items. As well as there was a couple of trainer who could only be recurited if scored well in fishing but they where not nessary to complete the game.

The main characters dragon powers also become more powerful the higher your total score for all mini games was.

FF IX also had lots of fun little mini games such the staged fight at the start.

In conclusion mini games are fun little diversion that make games more enjoyable to play, the main thing is not to make winning mandetory to continue playing. Such as in the game Mafia where at one point you have to win a race, which I never managed to do, and since you couldn''t skip the race I just stopped playing.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Mini games are good as long as they don''t get u too distracted from the main cause of the game.Imagince a minigame where you will have to play some dozens of stages for a whole noon or more.This really turns tha game into something different,if this happend in should co-exist with the games flow so the player can play and progress in it as he progressed in normal game.Also,the prize is also a very significant factor,you can''t just give the player a common healing item or just something worthless(not totally absolute about that,a really small game might just have prizes of worthless items just for the players fun and ego feeding of completition).
Before closing,I really do like mini games and spend my time whenever I want to have some carefree time.(That''s another factor why minigames should exist I guess.)

Another vote for present-but-optional. I especially like it when mini-games provide non-essential items or powerups. Zelda is the king of such matters. Just about every mini-game offered a heart piece if you totally beat it, and heart pieces were usually the ticket to "completely finishing" the game. Some were worth bomb max increases, or arrow max increases, and most of them were self-sustaining after a while, i.e. when you got above average you could break even or make a little more than the fee to play, so when you got right down to getting that bomb bag or quiver you could just sit down and do it, instead of having to run out and chop a bunch of bushes periodically to earn enough to play again.

I remember the Game Pig (or what it was called) in System Shock 2. It was a very simple portable game player, and throughout the main game one could find various mini-games to play on it.

Most of the games I found for it bored me, but there was one I played for hours, Overworld Zero or something. Anyway, the funny thing was, when I stopped playing it and returned to the main game, it felt like returning to the real world! I think this was because the mini-games were played in a small window while the main game was still running. This also meant that I had to find a safe spot to play. I really liked that. Yes, I know, I'm weird :-)

[edited by - EasyRaider on March 21, 2004 5:10:09 PM]

It really depends on the game. For games that are long I favor many small fast and hightly replayable mini-games(and obviously fun ;D ); they provide the player with time to rest his mind. It''s a big plus if they are multiplayer games. I don''t like pokemons but I can''t say I hate them, but I remember I loved playing the mini-games in pokemon stadium 2 with my friends. So yes, mini-games do matter.

I do but I don''t like really complex ones. I actually enjoyed some of the games in FF7 at the gold saucer.

Those aren''t bugs, they''re added features

I think the idea of using mini-games to simulate socialization with NPCs is interesting. Now the CCGs in the recent FF games, they didn''t really have any socialization value. But I''ve seen other mini-games where your NPC opponent had a lot of personality, graphics that showed emotion, and good dialogue. Like the push-ups (I think it was) game in FF7, in the wall market - the minigame''s gameplay sucked, but the game was kind of fun anyway because of your opponent''s personality, including the fact that you were trying to get a crossdressing aid from a big tough athlete.

I think it''s generally good in designing minigames to make their gameplay as different as possible from the main game''s, to help keep the player from getting bored. I also think mini-games should produce some non-stupid benefit in the main game so players don''t avoid the mimigame because they see it as simply a waste of time. And minigames that are available for play throughout the game - perhaps the prizes or whatever could level-up along with your character so the mini-game doesn''t become obsolete?

Mini games can make the game. Take Animal Crossing on the GameCube, you can get mini games of some original Nintendo games to play of the Gamecube, like ExciteBike.

The mini-games in Gold-Saucer (FFVII) are really cool:

* Chocobo racing/betting
* Motorbike game (protect the van)
* Snowboarding
* Rollercoaster arcade shoot-em-up
* Battle arena thingy
* Some submarine game I can't remember
* Cheezy arcade beat-em-up
* The Mog game.. what was that all about!?

I think thats all of them

[edited by - Zanthos on March 23, 2004 7:14:34 AM]