Undelete?

Started by
3 comments, last by eedok 20 years, 1 month ago
Well long story short, a keyboard "Accessiblity"(aka evil) option was on(holding down shift), when I went to delete a file, and I accidently selected a directory instead of a file when I hit the delete button, there''s no undo in the menu(using KDE), is there any way to get the directory back?
Advertisement
Not really. Linux filesystems are generally more complex that your basic Windows FAT partition, and that makes it harder to retrieve deleted files. It can be done, but only to a certain (not very high) degree of success. Freshmeat has some programs for that.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I did a grep and my data is still there!! only problem is the console only holds so much and it spits loads of stuff out, any way to stop that from happening?
Pipe the output through more

Example

grep foo | more

This (should) print enough info to fill the screen and then wait for you to hit a key before printing another screen of info. Didnt actually test it though so I cant be 100% sure.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, drown a man in the water and the fish will eat for a week!
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
Redirect the output to a file so you can do processing on it

grep foo > ~/somefile

Seeing it through more doesnt really help you in any way (and you should be using less anyway )
Rate me up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement