Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3dburns

I'm stuck [array problem]

I'm doing a program where I have to ask the user to input as many numbers as they want as long as they are between 1 and 50. (Yes, it's for school.) Now, I know how to do that but I have to make a Histogram that shows how many numbers the user inputed. (Example: If Entered 4,5 and 50, the program should say: 1-5 ** ... 45-50 *) I have my array set up so that when the user inputs their number, a counter for that particular number incriments up one. So if I enter 3 then it takes Nums[3-1]++. So I have the actual number of times each number is inputed but I need to combine them all in fives. (1-5, 6-10 etc) I've thought hard about how to do it but after two wasted class periods, I'm stuck. Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. [edited by - 3dburns on March 20, 2004 2:31:47 AM]

A simple answer is: use loops.

A more complex answer might be possible if you mentioned what programming language this is.

When you say you''re stuck do you mean you can''t get the code to compile or the code doesn''t do what you want, or you just can''t figure out the syntax for what you want to do? Try showing the code for what you tried.

You need to use some kind of loop with a if-else if - else block.

[edited by - yspotua on March 20, 2004 2:48:35 AM]

I just can''t figure out what to do.

I already have an array of 50 int''s I just need to combine all those counters down to counters of numbers between 1-5, 6-10 etc...

So for the first histogram bar you want the number of 1s plus the number of 2s plus the number of 3s plus the number of 4s plus the number of 5s, right? What happens if you try to turn that English into code?

int x = 1;
while (x <= 5) {
Hist[0] += Nums[x-1];
x++;
}

that would work wouldn't it. should i just right 9 more while loops like that or...

[edited by - 3dburns on March 20, 2004 3:02:30 AM]

That doesn''t look like it would work because you''re never incrementing x. You''ll just add Nums[0] to Hist[0] over and over again. But it seems like you''re on one right track.

int x=1;
int y=5;
while (x <= 50) {
int count=1;
while (x <= y) {
Hist[count-1] += Nums[x-1];
x++;
}
count++;
y += 5;
}

that should work right...i hope.

I''m wondering if using a for loop is much nicer to use than a while loop. You code would condense to the following

for ( int x = 1 ; x <= 5 ; x++ )
Hist[0] += Nums[x-1];

This is much nicer to read and it''s good to start getting a better style early.

All you need to do now is put in another loop for the histogram array, ie. replace the "0" in Hist[0] with another loop variable. You would essentially place your current code inside another loop and do a little extra maths when referencing the Nums elements.

I could just type the answer but you''ll learn so much more if you work that bit out.

Good luck.

R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no point in flaming if you''ve merely poured fuel on your own head

quote:
Original post by 3dburns
that should work right...i hope.

You'll need to move the int count=1; to before the first while. Right now count will get reset everytime through the loop, so you'll add every number to your first histogram box.

[edited by - SiCrane on March 20, 2004 3:17:42 AM]

for (int y = 0; y < 10; y++) {
for (int x = ((y+1) * 5) - 4; x <= (y+1) * 5; x++) {
Hist[y] += Nums[x-1];
}
}

I think that should do it.

Yea??

Finally after two days of drawing up blanks i get it in the middle of the night. Thanks for all the help. For future reference should I put this type of post in For Beginners or General Programming.

Excellent !

I hate to pick nits but the following is also good. Mainly because the calculations are confined to one place and that the loop variables are kept simple to it''s easy to see how many loop are actually going to be performed.

for (int y = 0; y < 10; y++)
for (int x = 0 ; x < 5; x++)
Hist[y] += Nums[(y * 5) + x];

R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no point in flaming if you''ve merely poured fuel on your own head