Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drb2k2

.NET Redistributable a joke!?

Hi all, I am really annoyed with .NET. I have spent months developing an application to try and get myself a job in software programming. Now I find that when I send out the demo no one can run it because they don''t have the redistributable installed. I guess most Human Resources peoples machines have no need for .NET to be installed. Why couldn''t Microsoft include the download with XP upgrades? Furthermore why can''t it display a decent message like "You need the redistibutable" rather than failed to allocate memory or corlib required! Does anyone know of a way to write an app that can check a computer to see if .NET is installed and then either launch the application or quit with a nice message? What are your thoughts on the .NET redistributable. Cheers Drb2k2

.net runtime is included in the XP update - it''s just not listed as "essential" upgrade because not everyone needs it yet.

To test the presence of the framework from a native module, you could use LoadLibrary function on the runtime core dll (I don''t remember the name, though) and if that succeeds, you can rest assured that .net is installed on the machine.

-Nik

Guest Anonymous Poster
Alternatively, you could include the .NET redistro with the installation of your app like most PROFESSIONALS would.

Take a look in the MSDN library, "Redistributing the .NET Framework". They have a sample installation package which checks for the presence of .NET, and installs it if necessary. You''ll need to download both this sample installer and the Dotnetfx.exe.

Despite my previous advice, I second the opinion others have expressed: Easiest thing for you to do is actually redistribute the framework package with your program.

-Nik

Alternatively, you could include the .NET redistro with the installation of your app like most PROFESSIONALS would.

What the hell are you talking about you ***. At the moment my zip file is 350k. With the redistributable that would take it up to about 30MB! If I send a link to a company and the diaglog tells them that in 30mins time the file will be saved they are likely to not bother.
And in reply to Arild Fines I would reply that I DID know that it required .NET library. However I thought that Microsoft would have inlcuded it with XP installations. Why the hell is everyone getting so arsey and wound up over MY problem. Honestly I thought these forums were a great place to get decent advice, not a load of pointless putdowns.

Well I would guess most companies have decent net connections and hence won''t mind d/ling a 30mb file, so just mention in your email that they may need the .net redistributable and give them a link to where they can get it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
you could do a static link. the exe would be much larger.

You''re right, this board is mostly useless since a lot of dumbheads are trolling around here all the time and are insulting everybody instead of giving real advice. This is really annoying since there are also many who really want to help you and not just post stupid comments - right AP (the first) and Arild?
If you want to be arogant, then be it elsewhere!

look, what you SHOULD do, for ANY downloaded file, is simple mention that the download REQUIRES THE .NET RUNTIME ...

and point them to "Windows Update" to get the latest version of the .NET runtime from micorosft.

when you SHIP media (such as on CD), you should include the redist package of all your dependencies (.NET, DirectX, etc) ...

quote:
Original post by BlackHC
and Arild? If you want to be arogant, then be it elsewhere!

Why? I have found this to be a most excellent forum for expressing my arrogance.

And although my question was rhetorical, I do not think it is fair of you to attack me in this way without even attempting to answer it. Why should a company hire someone, a programmer, who isn''t even aware of the runtime requirements of his own application?

Right Arild for the last time,
I DID know that it required the runtime library. What I didn''t know was that XP does not have it included. You can imagine my surprise when I sent it out to all my mates to have a go, and found out none of them could run it. I have since posted a note in the readme to say that it does require the .NET framework.

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Why should a company hire someone, a programmer, who isn''t even aware of the runtime requirements of his own application?
Because it''s a detail in a lot of circumstances? Because most of the applications that a programmer develop before entering the job market are for himself only, and not intended for redistribution, so it''s an understandable oversight?

Arild:
That ''you'' wasnt addressed only to you, but was meant to everybody who feels targeted.
And your comment wasnt really useful nor polite.
He didnt want to be asked why someone would want to hire him,- he wanted good advice for his problem. And this one-line-comment wont help anyone, at most some (like me) will get angry because it''s /like/ spamming.
Please dont feel attacked, I just read too much of these kinds of comments recently...

quote:
Original post by Nik02
To test the presence of the framework from a native module, you could use LoadLibrary function on the runtime core dll (I don''t remember the name, though) and if that succeeds, you can rest assured that .net is installed on the machine.

IIRC its called mscorlib.dll along with mscoree.dll.

quote:
The more important question is: If you sent out this demo without knowing this, why should anyone hire you?

Oh be nice, how much did you know when you graduated as compared to now?

Next, I want to address the business aspect of this:
First, it is a serious business problem to require a 30meg donwload to review your demo. As a HR manager, why would I spend more time on your application than someone elses? If someones else's works right-out-of-the-box with any intervention from me, it looks vastly superior to one that can't even execute .

This translates to customers who are searching the internet for a program like your product. They download one and try it, and if it works and does they want, they stop searching (unless they decide it cost too much). If they pursue your app and start downloading the run-time, they may keep searching and try out other company's products.

Many IT departments really lock down their employee's PCs, so they can't install much software - definetly not things like the .Net run-time (I managed to get firefox working from my user directory ). So I can't even use your program without doing a butt load of paper work and waiting a week (big company's suck, in the future I'm not working for any company with 1) more than 500 employees, 2) an outsourced IT department).

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on March 21, 2004 1:20:09 AM]

Games come with DirectX and all required libraries,
They also come with MSI, even though it is already located on your computer.

In the end, don''t send them a 350K zip, create an installer, for your application, that has .NET Redist on it, and give it to them on a CD, not in a zip file..

-Lucas

Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice, well the positive ones anyway. As most of you seem to have worked out I am a recent graduate looking for software dev roles. I will take the advice of everyone aboard and create a CD to send out with all the requirments on the CD. Now, my final question is does anyone know of a decent FREE installer? Is install shield the best?
Cheers
drb2k2

quote:

Thanks for all the advice, well the positive ones anyway. As most of you seem to have worked out I am a recent graduate looking for software dev roles. I will take the advice of everyone aboard and create a CD to send out with all the requirments on the CD. Now, my final question is does anyone know of a decent FREE installer? Is install shield the best?

Try the INNOSETUP.
It''s the best FREE installer I have tried yet.

Cheers

DISCLAIMER: If any of the above statements are incorrect, feel free to deliver me a good hard slap!

My games: DracMan | Swift blocks

quote:
The more important question is: If you sent out this demo without knowing this, why should anyone hire you?

+1.

If you''re going to ship something out failure to make sure it runs is inexcusably pisspoor.

Unless the .NET runtime is likely to be installed on all your target users machines, or you are distributing a very large piece of software and can justify bundling the runtime with it, then .NET applications aren''t likely to be the best option for you.

I doubt we will see low cost .NET consumer software for a good while to come.... If ever.

Inno sould also catch your eye cause it's on the same page as the venerable dev-cpp They go great together!

The true general first seeks victory, then seeks battle
- Sun Tzu

[edited by - Drakkcon on April 10, 2004 10:49:15 PM]