.NET Redistributable a joke!?

Started by
30 comments, last by drb2k2 20 years ago
Hi all, I am really annoyed with .NET. I have spent months developing an application to try and get myself a job in software programming. Now I find that when I send out the demo no one can run it because they don''t have the redistributable installed. I guess most Human Resources peoples machines have no need for .NET to be installed. Why couldn''t Microsoft include the download with XP upgrades? Furthermore why can''t it display a decent message like "You need the redistibutable" rather than failed to allocate memory or corlib required! Does anyone know of a way to write an app that can check a computer to see if .NET is installed and then either launch the application or quit with a nice message? What are your thoughts on the .NET redistributable. Cheers Drb2k2
Advertisement
.net runtime is included in the XP update - it''s just not listed as "essential" upgrade because not everyone needs it yet.

To test the presence of the framework from a native module, you could use LoadLibrary function on the runtime core dll (I don''t remember the name, though) and if that succeeds, you can rest assured that .net is installed on the machine.

-Nik

Niko Suni

Alternatively, you could include the .NET redistro with the installation of your app like most PROFESSIONALS would.
The more important question is: If you sent out this demo without knowing this, why should anyone hire you?

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Take a look in the MSDN library, "Redistributing the .NET Framework". They have a sample installation package which checks for the presence of .NET, and installs it if necessary. You''ll need to download both this sample installer and the Dotnetfx.exe.
Despite my previous advice, I second the opinion others have expressed: Easiest thing for you to do is actually redistribute the framework package with your program.

-Nik

Niko Suni

Alternatively, you could include the .NET redistro with the installation of your app like most PROFESSIONALS would.

What the hell are you talking about you ***. At the moment my zip file is 350k. With the redistributable that would take it up to about 30MB! If I send a link to a company and the diaglog tells them that in 30mins time the file will be saved they are likely to not bother.
And in reply to Arild Fines I would reply that I DID know that it required .NET library. However I thought that Microsoft would have inlcuded it with XP installations. Why the hell is everyone getting so arsey and wound up over MY problem. Honestly I thought these forums were a great place to get decent advice, not a load of pointless putdowns.
Well I would guess most companies have decent net connections and hence won''t mind d/ling a 30mb file, so just mention in your email that they may need the .net redistributable and give them a link to where they can get it.
you could do a static link. the exe would be much larger.
You''re right, this board is mostly useless since a lot of dumbheads are trolling around here all the time and are insulting everybody instead of giving real advice. This is really annoying since there are also many who really want to help you and not just post stupid comments - right AP (the first) and Arild?
If you want to be arogant, then be it elsewhere!
I do know that I don't know anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement