Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

v1c

Where to from here?

Hi, Im new here and was wondering if you could help me. Ive just finished SAMS teach yourself C in 21 days and a couple other beginner tutorials from around the net. What should I do now to improve? I want to stick to C until Im comfortable with it before moving on to C++. I would like to get into gaming but would like to learn stuff that could also help in finding a job as a programmer for general company needs, there arent to many game programming jobs down here in South Africa. Ive got a book on windows programming with C and the Windows API but Im not to sure how useful that will be in either field. Ive heard about openGL but not to sure what exactly it does, Im currently downloading the "Redbook" to see if that helps. What should I focus on now? Do you know of any intermediate to advanced c tutorials that I should look at, or maybe a summary of steps I should take, ie. general language (loops, control structures, pointers etc.) then (linked lists, trees etc.) ...? Thanks v1c

One way could be to take some project and finish it. If you want to learn doing games, start like for example doing pong, then when it´s ready jump to next bigger project and after that bigger and after that bigger.. and so on.

OpenGL is interface that makes doing graphics easier. It´s like bunch of functions that you can use to draw graphics.

I´m doing Breakout clone with C++/OpenGL myself right now..

Anyway, good luck.

[edited by - Mkk on March 20, 2004 7:42:01 AM]

Thanks, but what about Windows API / OpenGL? I tried going through a tutorial from NeHe and there seems to be some Windows API stuff.

Am I right in assuming I only need to know how to create a basic window and then put all the OpenGL stuff in that one window?

I tried creating my first OpenGL program, from the NeHe tutorial but had problems. Im using Dev-C++ which seems to have GL already there, in the includes directory, and I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with OpenGL and Dec-C++

Thanks

v1c

"Am I right in assuming I only need to know how to create a basic window and then put all the OpenGL stuff in that one window?"

Yep.

Can´t say anything about Dev-C++, haven´t used it much.. Some more info about your problem would maybe help.

[edited by - Mkk on March 24, 2004 1:21:18 PM]