Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

someone2

Targetting multiple devices... Different screen sizes problem!

Hello All, I am still quite new to the topic of mobile devices programming. the first striking problem is how can i make my programs run on more than one device... The main problem is that the screen sizes are not the same.. so, a program that runs well on Nokia 7650 will look horrible on a 3510i for example Basically, i always make my coordinates in terms of getWidth() and getHeight() But, what about IMAGES? AFAIK, there is no scaling routine in the standards? What are possible solutions? Is the best approach is to make separate versions for every platform? Another question: Where can i see a list of all J2ME enabled devices along with screen sizes and resolution? This would be very helpful.. Thank you very much in advance

Join mobilealliance.org and they have a sheet with everything on it or go to benhui.net and there is a link there to a sheet!

There is this deadly search engine called google as well it can find all sorts of stuff ;-P

Design for 128x128 and scale everthing up or down for different devices, so you create a version which is right for each phone. Nokia also have a device matrix on their web site with useful info about their phone, such as audio and graphics capabilities.

Sometimes you need to redesign graphics for different screen sizes.

There is also the approach of designing the graphic for the smallest screen size of the phones you plan to support, and just bordering it as appropriate. Many of the well-known mobile game companies do this, especially for their logo image.

If you''re doing something like a puzzle game with a grid of tiles, then there is no problem for that part: just display more tiles on the larger screens.

See if there is a simple way to "extend" your graphic programatically. Like, if it''s basically a bunch of horizontal/vertical stripes with some other bits overlaid, then just save the other bits as images and draw the rest of the image with drawRect/fillRect.

On all the projects I''ve worked on to date, I''ve had a different graphic set for each display type. It''s not just the display size and colour depth that have an impact on the graphics, JAR size and heap memory limits also apply (I find the Series 40 phones to be very restrictive).

Skizz