my own protocol

Started by
6 comments, last by Pipo DeClown 20 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, Long time no speak, but it''s time for a question again. Can someone tell me how to use the browser to launch a program? For example: irc://irc.server.com/ launches mIRC. What do I have to add in the registry?? And what special things do I have to add in my application?! I''ve heard about opening a port to loop back or something.. Can anyone explain to me how to handle multiple instances of an application? Thanks -- You''re Welcome, Rick Wong - sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..
Advertisement
Did you Google for it? If I find it in 2 or 3 minutes on Google, I''ll be very disappointed...
I googled.. "protocol c++", "my own protocol c++"..
For the first problem. The second I actually just thought up while I was writing my message.

I don''t know the exact terms for the above, so all I''ve been looking at are useless documents.

If you WOULD find anything, it wouldn''t surprise me. But please give me the URL then. :D

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..
This was covered briefly in MIND (M$ Internet Developer) magazine back in Jan ''99. You can view the article online here. Other resources can be found by searching for how to write a "pluggable protocol handler."

And no, Oluseyi, there''s not an abundance of helpful info regarding this on the ''Net

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

quote:Original post by ZealousElixir
And no, Oluseyi, there''s not an abundance of helpful info regarding this on the ''Net
Damn it! I was almost there, then I decided to refresh this page...

Anyway, here''s a host of links to tutorials and so forth (Google).

@Pipo DeClown:
Yeah, it was tough nailing down that "pluggable" part...
Sweet thanks!

Any other links or explanations are STILL ALWAYS helpfull. :D

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
Look up URL monikers on MSDN.

Edit: errr I guess you already have that

[edited by - DukeAtreides076 on March 20, 2004 4:05:38 PM]
Ah.. I see. My problem was that ONE LITTLE REG_SZ.. "URL Protocol".
I didn''t have it before.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement