Does a game name really matter?

Started by
21 comments, last by Warsong 20 years ago
Another thing about sequel numbers, i think it you risk of making the game look cheap. I can't help but think of B-movies when i sequel numbers ("Nightmare on Elmstreet 5", "Friday the 13th Part VIII").

When i look at some of the playstation series, even though there are some pretty good games amongst them, i can't help but get the feeling they've just been pumping out games, while they could have also concentrated on 1 higher-quality game -> "Twisted Metal 1, 2, 3, 4" "Cool Boarders 1, 2, 3, 4" "Jet Moto 1, 2, 3".

Then again back in the day, when Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3 came out, you knew it was good because it was from Nintendo

btw i think the "Brand Name: story-relevant subtitle" is used more often now, because then you don't see that a certain game of the series is older or newer than another. When a customer who has already bought a newer game, and sees the older version in a store, this is not perceived as older. In videogames, the general public regards "older" as "inferior".

[edited by - BdR on March 23, 2004 4:12:13 AM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by sBibi
mmh.. do you name a game so people can remember how many episodes you made and in what order? O_o

If I''m interested in a game that I know is the not the first in the series, I want to know how many of the others I have to play first. If I''m not sure, I simply won''t buy it. But I might be interested in buying the previous games, if I know which ones they are, and what order they come in.

quote:and honestly, I only remember two: wolfenstein 3D and return to castle wolfenstein. obviously, return to castle wolfenstein comes afterwards :D

There is a 2D wolfenstein by a different company. Not really a true prequel since someone else made it, but it illustrates that a few people don''t know that there''s a predecessor.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
I agree that short names with easy phonetics are easier to remember. That people remember the name of your product is super-important, most of the sellings are done between players, mouth to ear.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement