Orientation matricies?

Started by
3 comments, last by sirSolarius 20 years, 1 month ago
Ok, so I have a matrix stored for each object in my OpenGL world. Translating these objects is easy, but rotating them is harder. How do I change the object''s up/right/forward vectors to reflect rotations about the X, Y or Z axis (or a combination thereof)?
Advertisement
That''s a big question and much of the answer depends on how you implement rotation. There are many ways to do it. But in the end, you will apply the rotation to the object''s orientation matrix and the resulting matrix will have the new up/right/forward vectors.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
what about

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Linear-AlgebraFall2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

This is a bunch of video lecture about linear algebra. It takes rather long but if you want to use matricies then please learn linear algebra and this is a way to do it.
Wow, thanks! I'll have a look at some of those videos.

My main question was just wondering about how to rotate an object using its up, forward or right vectors... I'm still not 100% sure how to do that.

Edit: wow, that teacher is terrible. I tried to watch, but he didn't really go over anything of interest, and he was just awful at teaching. Thanks for the link though... I'm going to check out some other classes

[edited by - sirSolarius on March 21, 2004 7:21:30 PM]
(i agree: this teacher is not... )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement