Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maximAL

right use of flags?

i''m using a lot of boolean parameters so i thought about switching to flags. but i really can''t see a good way of using them, mainly because of global namespace cluttering. say i got a class Sprite with some function SetFlags(int Flags). now i got some flags like FLIP_H, FLIP_V, TRANSPARENT etc., all defined as const ints outside the class, what means nowhere else i could have a second TRANSPARENT flag. i could use some prefix (like SF_TRANSPARENT) or put the flags in a namespace (like SF::TRANPARENT -> really ugly for a dozen flags) but both doens''t look much better than just some plain parameters. would i gain any advantage by using flags here? maybe speed or sth.?

Assuming you won''t pass those flags as parameter, you should gain a little speed improvement (but I doubt that you''ll even notice that ).

I usually #define things like FLIP_H, FLIP_V and so on (because these are things that do not need to be dynamically changed - but this shouldn''t make a difference to a const int, though)

But as for naming of these constants: I prefer the prefix thingie, because it looks neat and is quite handsome. No, seriously, I would do it this way, but that''s my own coding style and noone is obliged to stick to that (fortunately for you all *fg*).

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--

Typically I just define the flags as static constants in the class in question. I believe this is how the std::iosflags are handled. I have used this technique for several C++ and Java projects and it works well. The benifit is that the names can be short since no prefix is required as the constant is associated with a class and you can change the values without having to recompile a ton of code (sometimes). Another technique I have seen used is to have a class called Constants (or flags) with a ton of static consts so that the global namespace doesn''t become cluttered. Typically however these are universal constants (Avogadro''s Number, Boltzmann Constant, etc...) which are used in several classes. If I were you I''d simply put the flags as static constants in the Sprite class.

Dan

quote:
Original post by vTheHero If I were you I'd simply put the flags as static constants in the Sprite class.

Sprite.SetFlags(Sprite::FLIP_H|Sprite::FLIP_V|Sprite::TRANSPARENT); doesn't look that good...
but ok, there seems to be no "perfect" way of doing this.

[edited by - maximAL on March 21, 2004 9:31:31 AM]